Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anybody know what mudvayne uses?..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sabeth, Apr 8, 2001.

1. Sabeth

Sabeth

Apr 6, 2001
    quincy, IL USA
    just curious, since i saw the korn question...i really like mudvayne and i wanna know what he usues to get that cool metal-ish sound, or whatever it is. prolly something obvious, but i'm slow, so give me a break! :p

2. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    I dont think he uses any pedals, i think he just sets the EQ weird on his amps.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    dunno what fx he uses, but i do know he tunes his bass gcgcf.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow...mudvayne and koRn in the same thread...i wonder if peter steele has that look on his face cuz he has some koRn stuck in his mudvayne... :eek:

[​IMG]

lmao...i just HAD to do that...i actually like mudvayne. korn though?? heheh ryan martinie uses chorus and compression in conjunction with the eq on his bass and amp....that's all...pretty simple setup :D

5. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    All I have to say about Mudvayne is uh.....

Actually i don't know what to say, I saw that video just the other day and I was all like "cool video" but then I was like "what the hell is he saying" then I was like, "can he actually sing" and "does there guitar player know any other styles than Metallica circa 1980's"

I kinda dig the vibe they give, but what is the deal???

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Mudvayne sucks my arse! By the way, Peter Steele and Type O are my gods!

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hategear...you can like Mudvayne, or not, no point in arguing opinion, but you gotta admit Ryan Martinie is one damned good bassist. If Dig is your only Mudvayne exposure, you need to hear "Severed" "-1" "Internal Primates Forever" "Death Blooms"...heck pretty much everything but Dig...Dig is so misleading as far as skill/talent/whatever goes....if Dig isn't your only experience, then heck, maybe you just have high standards....

8. Dude, Brendan (that's my brother's name too!), I like Dig...

9. Mudvayne rules. I love the warwick dude plays on. and anyone says they can't sing should listen to the cd. Some songs he sings along the lines of Manyard james keenen.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Most all of Ryknows tone is just his Thumb 5 NT. Its nothing more than that; i can get his tone exactly at guitar center just by boosting bass and (especially) treble. Its the classic compressed Thumb tone.

11. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Mudvayne! Now I have a new favorite heavy metal bassist. That guy is awesome. I was kinda curious how he got his sound too. Like "interal primates forever" how does he get that sound. And yeah, Dig (Though an awesome song) does not show off Mudvayne's talent.

12. I've accually seen Mudvayne in concert twice and meet Ryknow. They are awsome and Ryan is a cool person.

This is his setup. (well live anyway. He didnt use any pedals live. But on the cd he uses some effect. They recorded with Pro Tools. So they just added some chorus and stuff. But his sound is mainly his onboard Eq and the compressor.)

Shure Uhf Wireless, DBX 160 Compressor, Two Ampeg SVT pros & two ampeg 8x10 cabs with horns. And of course his Warwick 5-string thumb bass.

13. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I would have to go with chorus, but everything he mainly gets is out of his eq, some compression and his thumb bass. I love mudvayne, but I think that Dig is the worst example of what they do, pretty versitile and the guy can sing very well when he actually does. But thats only in thirty second spurts usually. But I was borad one day and messed around and found that I can get a somewhat similar tone to him by leaving bass normal but boosting some mids and cranking the living sh*t out of treble. But its still no thumb sound, Anywho I'm out.

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Don't forget his fingers...;)

15. is it true ryans mom tried to have him arested for stealing her makeup?

16. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    youve got to be kidding me!

17. whoops i am so sorry, i forgot to put the smile at the end of my post. here ya go :D

18. nirvanarules28

nirvanarules28

Mar 7, 2001
    MUDVAYNE SUCKS SO HARD ITS ALMOST UNREAL! They have like no talent, all they do is play crappy chords in weird tunings. I hate Korn and Mudvayne and all those bands...... what a waste of time and resources!

19. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Have you even listened to what the bass player does? Well all I have to say is grow up from bashing bands.