Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody know where I can buy a speakon to speakon cable.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cb56, Feb 20, 2002.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Anybody know where I can buy a speakon to speakon cable that is shorter than 10 feet long? I want to bridge my Ampeg B4r into my 610 hlf and would like to use a speakon to speakon cable in the 3 to 6 foot range. Musicians fiend and american music supply only sell 10 foot or longer lengths. I don't want to make one myself or shorten the length myself because I'm a real Klutz when it comes to that stuff and I don't want to fry any of my equipment. I just think using 10 feet of cable to go from my head to cab is too much.

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I got a 6-ft 12-gauge cable of the type you describe at GC.

As for using too long a speaker cable, granted, you want these as short as possible. But considering the relative sizes of an intrument signal and a power amp output, my guess is that using a 10 ft speaker cable, if it's of sufficient gauge, probably loses you no more than using a 20 ft instrument cable from your bass to your amp, if even that much. In other words, I wouldn't lose a whole lot of sleep over it.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    ok, cool. I'll just get the 10 ft cable then. Thanks

4. A guy who posts frequently at talkbass ( Bob Gollihur) makes variations of speakon connectors. I had him make mine. Bob's website is : www.urbbob.com

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    markertek.com will make you anything you want...cable-wise, that is.

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Just make sure you get one that's wired correctly. If you're bridging an amp, one connector will need to be wired +1 +2 (amp end) and the other end +1 -1 (cab end). Make sure the Speakon ends are wired to those conductors before you use it.

I suggest that you make your own with some 12 gauge cable, but if you must go premade, I recommend ProCo. They make great stuff.

Oh yeah, and you might want to talk to Bob Gollihur too.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Wait a minute, is this right? Your Speakon cable is directional? Is it only when bridging amps, and if so, why? Wow, I never heard this before! If you're right, that's a new wrinkle on my brain, and thanks.

But if it is so, I wonder why the manual of my Carvin Series III R600 never mentioned it....

8. Carvin sells a 5 ft. 12 ga. but their shipping cost is high when ordering 1 small item.

I also, would not consider 10 ft. too long. But 5 would be better.

9. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Richard, the "directional" Speakon wiring applies to QSC power amps only, and only when you bridge them. As a convenience, they offer both outputs through one of the two Speakons.

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Whew, thanks chucko. I was afraid I had done something very wrong in this regard in the past.

11. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    That is simply not true. Any time you are bridging an amp with a two-channel poweramp, the Speakon connector MUST be wired with the positive conductor of your cable wired to the +1 faston and the negative wired to the +2. Therefore, when bridging an amp, the cable IS directional. I don't know who told you that it applies only to QSC amps, because that is just a falsehood. The Ampeg B4R is not an exception to this rule, and neither is my Ampeg SVT-4, which ALSO must be connected with a 4 pole Speakon cable mount wired +1 +2.

With that said, I hope you didn't buy a cable yet, cb56. :D :eek:

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    So lo-end, what happens if you use an incorrectly wired cable with a bridge output? I'm not trying to bust your chaops, but I had a problem with a bridged setup last year, and now you've got me wondering if my cable had anything to do with it.

13. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    QSC's use of that hookup was the first I'd heard of it. Thanks for setting me straight.

14. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Well Im no amp expert, but my guess would be that an incorrectly wired speakon end would cause lower output and maybe problems with your amp. I dont know because I have never tried this.

Also, I checked the Ampeg B4R instruction manual pdf a couple hours ago just to make sure, and yes, it did mention that a +1 +2 wired speakon was required for bridging. Please note that this strange configuration is only required for amps that feature dual channel poweramps. (there aren't many)

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Actually, I believe what you'll find is not lower output but NO output. That was my experience with speakons and a QSC bridged, in any case.