1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody know where I can get a finger ramp for my Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by laflamme, Sep 21, 2016.

1. laflamme

laflamme Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Hi All,
    Not sure if this is the right forum but I am having a hard time finding a finger ramp that I can mount on my Jazz bass. Can anyone offer suggestions at where I can get one? I called bass central and they were no help to me.

Thanks.

2. MrBassman17

MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    Check this place out : Home. I have their clear on my jazz bass, works great; no drilling; comes in black, too!

3. laflamme

laflamme Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Tjamls fp
    Hi, thanks for that but that is a finger rest. I am looking for a finger ramp which is basically a shaped piece of wood between the pickups on my jazz bass and under the strings. It is used for fingerstyle bass to prevent the fingers from digging in too deep.

4. Funny, I Google "Jazz bass ramp" and get a couple of purchase options right there on the front page. Do you have access to a Google?

5. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    There i's a TB'r @jammadave who 3D printed one for me and it's great. Maybe ask him if he is interested.

6. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    I designed one for 3d printing; PM if interested to know more...

rufus.K likes this.
  7. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    LOL looks like we posted at the same time!

8. rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Jynx! Ears ringing?

9. rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Lol

10. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
  11. Subsound

Subsound

Feb 28, 2018
    Does anyone know if this fits a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass?

12. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    I have them on my Geddy Lee. I paid a local luthier $30 for custom made ramps radius'ed exactly for the Jazz. Any wood builder can easily make them. Here is pic. You can also make them yourself. Gary Willis has a vid on Youtube on how to do it. The vid shows him building one for a jazz bass.

20180111_171239_zpsu7m1qxea.jpg

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

You would need to know the pickup spacing, length and neck radius to determine the fit. I am not positive but I think the Geddy Lee has a 7.25" radius so a modern radius would not match. If you want to mount over a pickguard, you need to accommodate room for it or shape around it, like they did above.

I would highly recommend jut building your own or having it done locally. Getting the proper fit is best done with the bass in hand. It is not uncommon to need to shim a ramp (or shave one down) to get the proper fit. If you have access to a wood shop, you can make a ramp in 20 minutes. If you don't have access to a woodshop, it takes an afternoon. Shaping a square block of wood by hand takes a little time. I would start with Gary Willis' video but I only used that as a reference point. I do it a little differently. I get my radius right from the bass neck. I just place the block at the end of the neck and trace it out. I find this to be the easiest way. As far as mounting goes, two-sided tape works but my ramps are held on with dowels and pressure.

body ramp (Large).JPG
    Ramp (Custom).JPG

kamyon likes this.
  14. Subsound

Subsound

Feb 28, 2018
    Thanks for the replies guys! I’ll ask my local luthier and I’ll also try making my own. I’ll update this thread when I’m done. Thanks again!

15. KenLS

KenLS

Sep 21, 2020
    Did you ever finish this?

16. Can you post more pics of the black fretless or a link to a thread with pics? :drool:

17. MynameisMe

MynameisMe These aren't the effects you're looking for... Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    This looks fairly easy with not much skill involved but then I remember some folks don't have the skill or the shop I have.

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I would love to. I never did make a NBD thread because it is (obviously) not a real Fender.

Attached Files:

chriscrob and 5StringBlues like this.

19. Thank you. Amazing looking beast.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021