1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody knows/owns a Kent bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Someone here is selling a vintage MIJ Kent Bass, which he describes as a P-Bass looking bass, with chrome pickguard, pretty vintage looking.

Any idea what it is? Does anybody have photos?

I am just very curious about it. Collector's item? Worth playing?

Thanks!

2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Kents were out of the Teisco factory mid-'60s to early '70s. Most of them had baseball bat size necks. I can't imagine one being worth more than $250 in mint condition.

G

3. Do they look nice? Sound any good? Are they even worth plugging in?

I am working on a much lower price that this, but I have not seen it yet.

4. Hey Nick, how many basses do you have? Just curious. :D

5. 2 and that includes the one I am still building (waiting on MIA J pickups from a generous donor!)

6. I just wondered since it seemed like you were always picking up one good deal after another. :)

7. I am on the lookout but not all good deal is that good.

I have walked out on a couple instruments already.

I also treat pawn shop owners like dirt, which they are, and sometimes get a good price this way (they are desperate to move the inventory).

8. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    Played several Kents back in high school.

Er, spend the money on something useful, like strings or an amp or something ;)

LS

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but why are these basses considered vintage? I see tiesco's and these other really cheap basses from the 60's called vintage. Kent, kimberly, Tiesco ($39 bucks with 4 pups in the store) where garbage then and I can't for the life of me think they could be anything better 40 years latter! These guitars were good for boat paddles within two years of being made!

This taken from Wikipedia
    A Vintage guitar is an old guitar usually sought after and maintained by avid collectors. Many experts and professional musicians agree that the quality of craftsmanship, first and foremost, attribute to the allure of vintage guitars. New models of electric guitars are mostly patterned from the familiar designs from the 1950's and 1960's. However, most modern instruments are mass produced which does remove an element of excellence that was spawned by the woodworkers of yesteryear [1]. Besides the considered better sound quality because of the craftsmanship it also is considered a safe money investment[2].

10. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    Don't go for it unless it's really mondo cheap!

I remember Kent's well.They kinda looked Fenderish. They were actually popular,at least around my way.Despite the baseball bat necks they were probably the only 60's Japanese bass that you could actually almost intonate.By that I mean you could almost get them to stay in tune across the first five frets of all four strings.This,in the world of 1960's Japanese lutherie,was a major break through!

I remember them sounding OK if the pickup(not a split P .I recall them as being chrome & probably single coil) wasn't microphonic.The necks didn't completly go to crap when you put those thick old flatwounds( all that was around then) on them.I remember seeing a lot of soul/blues players with them.By 68-69 Kent actually made a half assed cool hollowbody bass that almost functioned like a real instrument.

It's really funny to me to see some of these nasty 1960's instruments being pawned off as " Crafted in Japan Collector's Items" 60's Japanese guitars & basses were 90% trash back then. If you just wanna buy it for it's kitsch/cool look appeal go for it,but don't spend a lot.If you just want another functional bass you can do a LOT better.Especially for $250.

Now,Let's not get me started about Domino guitars & basses! Or Crown!

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I never remembered anyone playing those basses! you would go to your friends house when you was a kid and they would be standing off in a corner like something they got for Christmas and forgotten about. The basses were like 30 inch scale with the sh*ttiest tuners you ever seen in your life! The pups were all way's micro phonic with a million switches on the body! If you find these basses you can bet the rent money they haven't been played in 40 years!!! They are virtually unplayable to the practicing bassist. Jmho

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Most Kents of the early to mid 60's were terrible in a deeply cheesie way.

Crap tone, crap action, crap finish, crap electronics, bridge, etc. Did I mention they were crap?

However, if you find a single pickup mahogany body tobacco burst "Kingston" (no name plate!) with a body shape like the Kent (generic double cut Fenderish), grab it.

I had one and regret ever parting with it--not a sentimental issue, just a darn good single coil instrument. There are probably others, but most of them had terrible electronics and very inferior necks.

13. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    My first bass was a Kent. I paid $20 for it. That's about what it was worth. I would never, ever call a Kent "vintage".

14. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
  15. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Forgot to add that you might take the opposite perspective. Find the worst ones you can! I think the early '60s Teisco Del-Rays, which might feature three or four pickups and switches galore, were a nadir in Japanese instrument building. I never played one with action lower the 3/4 of an inch at the 12th fret. The truss rod, if there was one, didn't have enough adjustment to keep them straight.

The weirdness and horror of it all might be worth sporting! :ninja:

In all fairness, I suspect that the builders had no idea what might happen to such an instrument when it was shipped by slow boat across the Pacific, and it is a humbling lesson to compare the quality Japanese manufacturers achieved in less that two decades. By 1980, their instruments were equal or superior to Fender's of the same era, IMHO.

16. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
  17. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Jim, we have no right to tell the truth about Kent basses!:D

18. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Yeah, I know. I'm bad. Sorry. *Raises hand and hangs head slowly*

19. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Jim, I'm going out boating in the morning do you know where I can find an extra paddle?:)

20. jbassbob

jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID