1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody like Don Binns from Sons of Freedom?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by matrok, Mar 31, 2005.

1. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I have the CD "Gump" and love his tone and playing. I've been looking for their other stuff on eBay, but so far no luck. The guitar player in my old band saw them live and said they were awesome. Anyone else familiar with them?
  2. Seratone1

Jun 2, 2014
    Yes! I brought up Sons of Freedom on a post I did a few years ago about how to get that amazing Precision Bass 'Clank' - this spawned a huge discussion - not to mention a side bar conversation about Sons of Freedom. I saw them a couple of times in the early 90's in Toronto. I was a bass player then - Played a P-Bass with a pick - I craved Don's sound - which was likely more 'in his hands' than to do with anything else. When Freedom broke up I believe he played with Lee Aaron - Canada's own Metal Queen - as she was trying to re-brand herself as an alternative artist - they played Sneeky Dee's Upstairs - I approached Don to tell him how influential he was on me - could have been a band night for him - let's say, he was less than engaging - then again he was playing a half empty taco joint on a Tuesday night. I have since discovered that 'clank' sound I spoke of has to do with having a very light P Bass body.