Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody like Peter Cetera?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I don't know when the last time he played with "Chicago" is, but I always considered Peter Cetera kind of America's version of Paul McCartney. The tenor voice, walking bass lines - this guy was/is a great bass player, IMHO.

I guess he played Precisions in "Chicago" and he's a finger style bassist?

Skel

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Classic voice! Not the greatest bass player but was a great fit for Chicago and many of their their early hits had him playing bass and singing lead! His voice and penchant for harmonies are divine!

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I googled him and he has a website - after reading some stuff, I realized guys like him spend about half their day in legal battles. I assume over royalties.

4. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Yeah - good player, GREAT voice. I thought he and Seraphine had a nice thing going. Liked the first three albums.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Most definitely one of my earliest influences. Check out his playing on Chicago V, especially the tune Dialog.

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ok - gladly. Chicago rocked...I don't care what anybody says - the horns, vocals - gobs of talent there. I think they actually did some shows with Hendrix, believe it or not.

Skel

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I can see that. A solid, effective bassist. An excellent vocalist, with fine songwriting chops. A well-developed pop music sensibility. He's an all-around superb musician...

For whatever reason, I appreciate Chicago so much more now than I did 30+ years ago when they were on the charts and all over the radio dial. Maybe because I've matured enough to "grow into" their sound. And I grew up on the shore of Lake Michigan, just about a four-hour drive due north from Chicago. So they were almost kind of a "local" band for me and mine...

MM

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The early Chicago stuff (wth Kath and Cetera) rocked as hard as anybody, then they got sappy.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Enter David Foster as producer/writer.

Others that got Foster-ized-
    Average White Band
    Earth, Wind, & Fire
    Al Jarreau
    George Benson

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Maybe so, but-
    The 45rpm versions had some tasty & creative playing; the extended versions of the hits had some 'jamming'; the album cuts go in & out of Rock, Latin, Funk, R&B, Jazz, Blues, etc.
    Check out "Free"...a pretty short tune/workout that smacks of Jamerson & Rocco. Crazy intro with the doublestops, too.

Also, one of my favourite Cetera nuggets is "Brand New Love Affair, Parts 1 & 2" from VIII.

'Sfunny-
    When I first started getting into Jazz & was reading Downbeat over Circus...a Critic's Poll had the "Best" bassists listed. At the time('75?), I only recognized these 3 names on a list that read like a Who's Who of Jazz bass-
    Cetera, Chris Squire, & Jimmy Fielder!
    ;)

12. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    At what point were each of them Foster-ized?

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    AWB-
    Funny you ask, l I just received Shine in the mail today...I'm a total AWB-geek, otherwise, I woulda been content with the LP.

EW&F-
    ...about the time "After The Love Has Gone" charted. Great song, though, the raw Funk of EW&F was history.

Jarreau-
    I'm reaching here...the album after Jarreau?

George Benson-
    Remember "Turn Your Love Around"?

It's not that the tunes/production are 'bad'('cause believe me, there was a time I really dug 'em)...it's just too much gloss.
    It could be a matter of taste, I just think each of the above artists/bands lost a lot of their own creative control with Foster as producer.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have pictures of him playing a wood P-bass with fingers...I'm pretty sure he also used Gibson basses(EB-something or other & a Ripper), too.
    ...and he also played with a pick on certain tunes.

15. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Absolutely. Cetera was great in Chicago.

16. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Anybody know if "Chicago" is still performing at all, and when the last time Cetera played with them?

Skel

17. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    There's a reason I have him as my 'screenname'... he rocked hard! :bassist:

For me I would list him along with Jamerson and McCartney as one of the three most inventive, soulful and melodic bassists in 'popular music'. His sense of groove, harmony and melodic interplay was second to none. Check out any of the '70's Chicago albums to understand.... :hyper: :smug:

And that voice.... wow! :)

18. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    I don't think Cetera has been with Chicago since the late 80's, early 90's. I think I saw them in 94 and the new guy was singing and playing bass. His name escapes me.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The 'new guy' is Jason Scheff...he's been with Chicago for probably close to 20 years now(his tenure as the bassist in Chicago's is now longer than Cetera's?).
    Scheff, in his own right, is a very, very good player & vocalist. His dad is Jerry Scheff(played with Elvis & played the basslines on The Doors' LA Woman).

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Chicago is still playing(sometimes sharing a bill with EW&F).

The only 'original' members are the 3 horn players + keyboardist Robert Lamm.