1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody like the sound, but not the look.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David A. Davis, Jan 16, 2012.

1. David A. Davis

David A. Davis Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    I've got a G&L L2000 Tribute. I love the sound, plays great, it has great tonal flexibility. I'm just not diggin' it aestheticly. Anybody else run into this???

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    im looking to get a tribute L2K as well, but the lefties are only available in natural with a rosewood fretboard. pretty plain, but i'm gonna personalize it a bit and put those pearl block inlay stickers on it to give it that '70s fender look and put a garcia wolf sticker inbetween the neck pickup and neck. make it look more visually appealing and not so vanilla to me. sometimes a few personal touches can make a world of difference.

3. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I had an amber one i think was made of swamp ash. I loved the sound but was not crazy about the neck and hated the little dip thingie on the headstock

4. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Grosbeak, Yamaha, Fender, BSX. I’m Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Certainly not for the G&L L2000. I love how that bass looks.

5. domestique

domestique

Sep 5, 2011
    PA
    I love the looks and sound of my G&L L2000.... what I do not like is the weight!.

6. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I don't even pick up a bass I don't like the looks of. Then it comes down to tone, playability, weight, balance, and price.

7. If you dont like how G&L's look, then you prolly dont like how Fenders and all their clones look either.

Maybe switch to a T-bird or a Ric? Or anything less traditional. There's no accounting for personal taste, and the classic vibe isn't for everyone, that's for sure.

Good luck.

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yeah, on most basses.

G&Ls are pretty homely. Gruesome headstock. Lose that and stop selling them in value-negative colors and they'd be OK.

9. I don't like the look of T-birds or Ric's, but I love their tone. :/

10. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Definitely. Except for the spur on the headstock, the profile of an L-2000 is pretty much identical to a Fender.

11. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

I must be weird. If I like the way a bass feels, then the looks grow on me, even if I didn't bond with them in the beginning.

And the reverse- at least in theory, I like the look of certain woods and finishes, but if I don't like the way an instrument plays, then the looks do nothing for me.

Come to think about it, I'm that way about just about everything from cars to women...

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    They are nice looking basses ... with a weird headstock.

13. Why? Then, instead of reading endless posts complaining about a little wood tip on a headstock, we'd get to hear all the whining about the lack of color choices.

I prefer the freedom of choice, personally. ;)

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Only from the tasteless.

Anyway, we're not talking about that, but rather how to make dissuasive ugliness go away. ;)

15. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    I feel that way about the Duff McKagan JB--sounds fantastic, but what a hideous beast!

16. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I bought an oranger Spector Euro 5LX hoping it would have more of "cool" looking wood grain pattern. It ended up being a flame maple top and more orange than I ever imagined. After one show with it as my main bass, I will always look forward to playing it live. It sounds fantastic and is comfortable for me to play.

Not many bass players play orange basses near me - so why not play it and stick out of the pack?

For those of you who refuse to play a bass because of looks even though it is comfortable and sounds great to you; that is just stupid.

17. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Man, talk about what's been on my mind since the past weekend's gigs.

Normally, if I don't like the looks of a bass, I won't gig it, but I seem to have gotten myself in a spot.

I've been happily gigging a MIM Jazz V, burst/tort, and an Ibanez ATK305 trifade, pickguard removed. I absolutely love these basses… I just look at them and feel warm inside.

A few weeks ago I come across this deal on amazon.com, about 1/2 price for a new red Lightwave SR5. The light-weight appealed to me and the optical pickup thingies piqued my interest, so I purchased it.

Upon receiving it, the body was far smaller than I thought, and being kinda wide with a belly, I just couldn’t imagine actually gigging it.

So for the next few days I cranked the trussrod here and there until I got the action where I wanted it, and adjusted the optical pickup thingies to get the sound back. I figured it'd make a good music-room beater until I maybe needed a lighter bass for gigging or something. I even thought about planeing the body and adding a spalted maple veneer or something just to make the looks tolerable.

Next couple band rehearsals (here at my place), nobody even knows I have it, then one rehearsal I break it out, and everyone really likes the sound, and convinces me to bring it out.

Well, I do, I adjust the rig flat, turn off the compressor, and use only the active controls on the bass. Man, low, yet clean and cutting. I couldn't make it sound boomy if I tried.

So… now what do I do? Am I stuck with this thing? Not only does the band prefer the sound, I prefer the sound.

:(

18. taygunov

taygunov Guest

May 8, 2008
    well personally, I hate the look AND the tone of my bass. damn lacking funds

19. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    So 95% of consumers are "stupid"?

There's nothing wrong with placing a premium on appearance when it comes to musical instruments. A guitar isn't a "tool". It's a piece of sculpture with electronics attached to it. It's an extension of the personality of the person that plays it.

20. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    I really like the tone and feel of the LTD F-105 I recently took in as (a lame) debt repayment. It's not worth much, but I'm still not keeping it...on account of it's pointy shape. Definitely not me...guess I'm stupid, too.