Anybody looking for a Telecaster?.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tx Basser, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Tx Basser

Tx Basser

Jul 21, 2012
    Texas
    OK, OK, I know this is a bass forum and IF this is posted in the wrong section, my apologies and mods please move it to where it is supposed to be. But I couldn't help but post this for all of you fellow bassists.

Here is a legitimate links to a cl ad I saw tonight. Let me know your thoughts.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/3944412147.html

Just a little too rich for my pocketbook.

2. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Jan 21, 2009
    I'm far from an expert, but isn't that a 70s logo?

3. Tx Basser

Tx Basser

Jul 21, 2012
    Texas
    I was thinking the exact same thing. For the money they are asking it should be pristine and that guitar has some wear on it. (Not that wear is a bad thing mind you)

4. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    For the money they're asking, it should be celebrity-owned.

BTW, what exactly is the purpose of posting a thread like this here?

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    For he's a Telly lover, already ownin' a beautiful and technically proficient "Baja" with S/1 switch

Except that...
    he should eventually sell his house (if only he owned it)

Cheers,
    Wallace

6. 50 Grand for a Telecaster?

If somebody could even afford that, they could just buy a crapload of newer telecasters.

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Collectability means nothing to you I presume. Personally with a decal that could indicate the 70s and the condition I think the price is way out, but to be fair I don't look at vintage Telecasters so I'm not an expert.

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    There are well worn all original Teles that command that kind of money. Not this one but...

9. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    The earliest it could be is '69, based on the logo. But certainly way, way overpriced.

10. I understand collectability when others buy collectable things/collect vintage gear, but I personally prefer playability more than collectability.

11. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    There "were" worn original Tele's that commanded that kind of money. Not anymore. When the market correction came in 2008, the guys who paid $50k for worn Tele's got a major wakeup call.

12. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Oh hell yeah! Just what I was looking for! Let me go sell my car... 25x

13. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    LOL....looks like one too many zeros.

14. I saw a 1952 Telecaster for $40k that was owned by a some famous guy (apparently) It was in great condition and was one of the best Tele's I have seen. For a 1960's Tele (which has no date nor serial, and has no way of knowing if everything is original unless you took it in) $50k is an absolutely ABSURD price. Even if it was mint, and never been played, all the case candy, etc... The only time I would drop $50k+ on a 60's Fender is if it went through the hands of 3+ VERY famous celebrities.

15. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Some perspective: Friend of mine is original owner of a '69 Tele. Cond is VG for it's age. All original. It's current value is around $7500.

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What a clueless indulgence of self importance. He has an AMAZINGLY huge ego. This guy does NOT think that the GUITAR is worth that much. He thinks HE and HIS FAMILY are worth that much. That is where the price comes from.

17. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    The Basses forum is for basses, not guitars...moved to Miscellaneous.

18. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    How do people play those things? They're so little.