1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody make a 4 ohm Cab ready Crossover?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by datsaxguy, Oct 3, 2013.

1. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    Building a home DIY 2 way (tweeter/driver) bass cab and I'm looking for a 4 ohm cabinet ready crossover. Does anybody make something like that?

2. afiaowo

afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
  3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    A lot of basic woofer/tweeter designs don't really need full crossovers as the woofers either don't reach high enough to meet the tweeter or don't have enough output up there to really interfere with it.

This means you can ignore the woofer impedance and just use a highpass filter on the tweeter, which is likely to be 8 ohms.

Unless you're using a tweeter you can bring in low....like 2khz.

People gonna need more specifics of what you're doing to be of any real help.

4. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    I was looking for a plate with the crossover built on. Like this one but 4 ohm.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=294-2860

I'm aware of the ability to use high and low pass filters, or terminal plate wired to a crossover. I've never a seen a one piece 4 ohm unit. Was wondering if there were any out there.

Faital 4 ohm 15PR400 driver, Tweeter does 2-20khz

5. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    All of those crossovers are 8ohm. This was the first place I looked.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Try Carvin

7. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    WHAT? theres a ton of them out there for car audio uses. if you want one mounted on a plate, just glue it on.

8. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    Tried Carvin, no dice.

Mounting it on the terminal might be an option.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Then you'll need one with a 4ohm lowpass and 8ohm highpass, which you'll likely have to make yourself.

Hint: That woofer is nowhere near 4ohms up at the frequency you'll be passing it at.

I'd research this further before you waste money, blow a tweeter, or just plain sound bad.

10. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    So I guess what you are saying is that nobody makes a 4 ohm 2 way crossover built on the terminal plate.

11. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    used okay? peavey used to have 4-ohm 2-way crossovers in some of their 2x10" cabs.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Are you using a 4ohm tweeter?

13. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    Yes, 4 ohm tweeter

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ok then, starting to make more sense here. And you're right in using a full crossover as those woofers run pretty far into the treble.

Still, if you look at the impedance curve on your woofers datasheet At the frequency you'll be passing it at, (I assume somewhere 2 to 5khz?), I can guaranty it's impedance will be a good deal higher than 4ohms there, maybe even higher than 8, so, some off-the-shelf crossover still isn't going to get it right in the lowpass side.

That said, I believe Dayton ( partsexpress.com house brand ), makes some, though IIRC, they are 12db/oct. both directions. They may not be built as part of a jackplate, so you simply mount it on the cabinet wall and run a set of leads to the input jack.

15. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    Looks like I'm destined to use another means to get what I'm looking for. It would have been nice to slap a one piece unit in and be done with it.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    How's the woofer sound on it's own? Is the tweeter mandatory? Could you get away with just grafting one on top with a highpass filter only set high, like 5-6khz?

17. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    Woofer is great and I am a tweeter guy all the way. So it looks like high and low pass filters are in order.

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Gonna halfta do some 'cipherin' then....