Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody make Cherry bass bodies?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Dec 4, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I don't see them and was wondering why? :eyebrow:

2. Rick Turner

Rick Turner Commercial User

Jul 14, 2004
    I design and build electric basses and pickups under the Turner, Renaissance, and Electroline brand names.
    I make some of our Renaissance basses with bookmatched quartersawn cherry tops, backs, and sides. The stuff is absolutely beautiful. It would be on the heavy side for a solid body other than as a laminated top.

Cherry was once known in the furniture trade as American Mahogany due to the color it achieves with exposure to light and oxygen. It is also a traditionally used wood for pattern making because it's relatively stable, machines and carves well, takes good detail, and holds up well. Great stuff, and I've also used it for necks with great results. It's more expensive than maple and there's a higher reject rate due mostly to pitch pockets which is why you don't see more production basses with cherry necks. I'm surprised, though, that more luthiers do not use cherry.

3. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I just finished a cherry bodied bass. It's very nice to work with.
    Marko

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks guys. Great to have you on this forum Rick you seem very easy going and approachable. Some pros aren't. There is a really pretty figured 8/4 board 13" wide and 10ft. long at a place I get my Walnut at and I have been real tempted by it. Cherry is nice to work with. That is a lot of wood and a big investment they won't cut it either it is all or nothing. Do you think I would be much over 9 lbs for an average"p" or "J" sized body? Thanks again. Tom

Nice hollow body by the way.

5. I own a farm with many hardwoods on it. I was thinking of going Uber DIY on my first project and cutting my own wood from my farm. I am definitely using Walnut, but my farm also has this dead black cherry tree that I am tempted to use as a top. Has anyone ever played a bass w/ a black cherry body? how did it affect the tone?

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    My '87 Warwick has cherry body wings and neck stringers (the bulk of the neck is wenge). Great sounding bass but it's hard to work out exactly what makes it so...

Alex

Edit: Date corrected on Warwick.

7. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Just curious,Alex....what model is that Warwick of yours?
    Maybe I'm just misinformed but I never heard about Warwick using cherry wood,at least not in their series basses.Perhaps,yours is an off-the-shelf,prototype one?
    Please clarify....and,maybe,post some pics!;)
    Regards,
    Le Basseur

8. I'm not sure if they offer full bodies in cherry, but Warmoth does make bodies that have cherry patterns in them. Some of them are pretty cool.

9. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    I love working with cherry. Easy to work, and stiff/ heavy enough to produce a sweet tone, and above and beyond that, it's goregeous. go for it, and you wont be dissapointed.

10. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Found out the hard way that it isn't always stiff enough to make a laminated wide 5 neck with. :crying:

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    It's one of the original Streamers, before they created the Stage One and Two models:

[​IMG]

Alex

12. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Enviously You should do this! And make a build thread here in Luthier's of it.

Man, I wish I had the wood on my turf. I've got a tiny cherry, a crummy apple and a few aspen bushes at my place. How good is that for building basses? Not for another 50 years...

13. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    I could be wrong, but I seem to remember late 90's Streamer bolt ons having a cherry body too - but again, I could be wrong.