1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody make their own cables?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Johnny Fila, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader" Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    and if so, what components are you using and from where?

2. I haven't made cables for instruments, but have recabled headphones before. I think for the plugs you can't go wrong with nutrik, canare, Switchcraft. I do have one really fancy plug called furutech, but for 20 bucks a piece, you can get a few of the ones mentioned above and will do the same job.
    Don't know much about cables, but I'm sure something like mogami would be just fine.
    Making your own cables would probably be much better than spending a crap load of money on something like Monster and you can try different cables out to find something you like.

Edit: You can get most of this stuff on mouser Electronics.

3. jcobien

jcobien

Jan 14, 2012
    I do. I use whatever scraps I can find from work and buy Neutrik 1/4" from local guitar store.

Usually Gepco or Canare... sometimes Belden. For unbalanced cable with the Quadstar cable... I only use 2 of the 4 twisted pair and I twist them together (white) for the common mode rejection... and then i use the braided shield. I can't hear the difference... I just assume that better shielding and RF rejection couldn't hurt.

Not sure if what I am doing is standard or the way to do it... but it seems to work for my cable from the bass jack to the amp input. Speaker Cables... I use speakon so I use the thickest guage that fits the speakon. Can't remember if it is a 10 or 12 but probably 12.

4. jcobien

jcobien

Jan 14, 2012
    where: I've purchased cable and neutrik from full compass as well.

5. jcobien

jcobien

Jan 14, 2012
    Quadstar is overkill... i just use scraps I can find... you should be good with canare or belden instrument cable. They sell all kinds of colors too.

6. Tron55

Tron55 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Hit me up for all your bulk cAble needs.

7. Radio Shack, they have a variety of 1/4" connectors and the 14-18 guage cables. I do my own soldering becuz I'm cheap.;)

8. TubeDepot.com has some good choices. They have a nice youtube channel too.

9. I don't know what they have at radioshack these days, but the 1/4" plugs were really cheap quality. Nuetrik are still cheap and are way better than radio shack branded plugs I've used in the past.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Do you represent a company?

11. Tron55

Tron55 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Let's just say I have a lot of cable and connectors, but the answer is no.

12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Speaker, yes...instrument, no.

Riis

13. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I buy from Mouser Electronics. I have made Neutrik speaker cables and Patch/Instrument cables. The last patch cables I made I used Amphenol connectors. They make some real nice 90 and straight connectors. We use alot of their connectors in our military production so they make reliable connectors. The 90's are Mouser part# 523-ACPM-RN and the straight ones are Mouser Part# 523-ACPM-GN. They have good strain relief so they should hold up well. BTW I don't think these are a mil-spec connector. Beyond those I'd look at Switchcraft.

14. Musicphan

Musicphan

Oct 11, 2008
    I make all of my own cables.. typically buy from Parts Express or Full Compass. Typically only use Canare for cabing (just my preference - quality cable / nice flexible cables) and Nuetrik for connectors. If I'm buying in larger quatities I typically go with Full Compass to take advantage of tiere pricing, otherwise Parts Express.

15. J-wall

J-wall Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Back when Butch at Bayou Cables was still doing work I ordered some speaker cables from him and they are still great. The jacket said "Redco" but I never checked it out. I recently needed some instrument cables and i looked up Redco. I got Neitrick plugs and their house brand (Redco) instrument cable and they sound as good as my Canare cable to me. They did say I would not be able to hear a difference. I do not have a studio to verify this, but in my "real world" they have been right so far and I have been happy. :)

16. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader" Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Thanks for all the great advice. i'll probably use Fullcompass.

17. Bought in some Van Damme cable and Neutrik connectors to patch together a friends rack setup.

18. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I make just about all the cables I use except for the occasional short patch cable for a tuner or such. I prefer Neutrik connectors and most of my cables are Gotham GAC-1. It is super flexible and easy to work with. I bought a bunch from a guy I worked with years ago and all my cables have stood the test of time with zero failures. It is good stuff and it costs a fraction of what a an off the shelf stiff monster cable costs.

19. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    +1 for Full Compass! I've been doing business with them for nearly 20 years.