1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody Make Ultralight Tuners for 11/16 Holes?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Saint, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I am currently building a Sabre-type bass with a Moses graphite jazz neck. Because the graphite is so heavy, I want to cut down on the weight of the tuning machines. However, the peg holes are 11/16" and I'm having trouble discerning whether Hipshot, Schaller or anyone else actually makes ultralite tuners to fit in the traditional fender headstock.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I really need them to be gold to match the other hardware.

Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated!

2. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    I believe Hipshot ultra lights with the large(1/2" dia) posts use the 11/16" holes. I just punched a peghead last week, you'd think I'd remember....I do make the holes two different diameters as the baseplate hole needs to be about 1/16" smaller.

They are a special order though. The large posts that Dave makes are ALUMINUM, rather than the steel that he uses on the smaller dia posts, and are much lighter....that's why I use them. I also order them with the "Y" buttons, rather than the traditional big flat buttons.

Here's a photo(sorry, the collage is already on my website)

joe%20collage.

Just remember you want the large diameter post with the Y buttons. Good folks a Hipshot; they've always taken care of me in a timely manner, with a great product.

3. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
  4. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Thanks for the help everyone. I'm getting a set of the Hipshot tuners from Chuck Levin's, one of our local shops here in the DC area.

I really appreciate the assistance!