Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody Make Ultralight Tuners for 11/16 Holes?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Saint, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I am currently building a Sabre-type bass with a Moses graphite jazz neck. Because the graphite is so heavy, I want to cut down on the weight of the tuning machines. However, the peg holes are 11/16" and I'm having trouble discerning whether Hipshot, Schaller or anyone else actually makes ultralite tuners to fit in the traditional fender headstock.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I really need them to be gold to match the other hardware.

Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated!

2. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    I believe Hipshot ultra lights with the large(1/2" dia) posts use the 11/16" holes. I just punched a peghead last week, you'd think I'd remember....I do make the holes two different diameters as the baseplate hole needs to be about 1/16" smaller.

They are a special order though. The large posts that Dave makes are ALUMINUM, rather than the steel that he uses on the smaller dia posts, and are much lighter....that's why I use them. I also order them with the "Y" buttons, rather than the traditional big flat buttons.

Here's a photo(sorry, the collage is already on my website)

[​IMG]

Just remember you want the large diameter post with the Y buttons. Good folks a Hipshot; they've always taken care of me in a timely manner, with a great product.

3. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
  4. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Thanks for the help everyone. I'm getting a set of the Hipshot tuners from Chuck Levin's, one of our local shops here in the DC area.

I really appreciate the assistance!