Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody match up the Acoustic Image with Aguilar 1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arnold, Dec 24, 2004.

1. I'm just wondering if anybody has matched up the AI with the Aguilars, I have 2 aggies and am thinking of buying the focus for club dates, weddings etc. I play 4 or 5 string Jazz or Jazz like basses and upright. Thanks. ASG

2. Sparkie

Sparkie

Nov 15, 2004
    My neighbor is a nationally known jazz guitarist who also plays bass. (he's rediculously talanted). He uses an AI Clarus that way and it suits him perfectly. If he just plays guitar he uses an Evans. I haven't checked but I wonder if Evans makes a bass amp....

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup,

i've used my Focus, numerous times with my friend's pair of GS112's, and the tone is superb. to some dark, to me, rich and thick. and STOOPID loud.

but if you need tonal shaping, its not where its at. passive basses sound great, but i prefer a bit more options in my EQ section. good thing to have either onboard EQ, or a separate box like a Raven Labs True Blue EQ. i've used my LR Baggs Para DI that i usually use for my acoustic with my passive basses, and works great.

4. I would wait 'til the slave amp comes out. Check out this guy's pre: I think the bottom box contains the power section of the AI.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1810214&postcount=1457

He sells the little pre now. But he seems to suggest he will be making a head based off the AI integrated with that tube pre. Looks promising. Be nice to have it all in one chassis.

5. I appreciate the slave amp idea, how ever I'm really looking for something I can throw in the small bag, and take to Europe too. New York City has it's own strange working requirements, I mean getting a cab some nights is insane, so getting gear into a subway is sometimes the only thing to do. I understand 7 lbs, but smashing that tube wouldn't take me too long if it's in the bag with my upright or tuba stuff. As for the tone control issue by Joker, I still don't know what to do with those knobs, I'm a plug and play guy. Stupid loud is cool, have you tried the focus with one cab?

6. Maybe the AI with sansamp to give it some flavor. Nothing is as small or potent as the AI, but do you really want dry-only operation? If yes, then the AI is a no brainer for travel.

Only alternative I can think of is:

Eden time traveller. 2 0hm stable. Set and forget preamp. Optical compressor and balanced DI. Good, warm and tweakable overdrive circuit and yes, universal voltage. 13 lbs. Have not seen carrying case.

http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/amps/indiv/wt330.asp

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup, and yea, still stoopid. ;)

also, the one control that i could never do without is high pass / notch filter. great for problematic rooms.

8. I might check it through the sans amp. I've owned the eden 300 something? Bought in in 97, I had it in germany, it was cool, I just don't know if it's my sound any more. I hoping the pre's in my basses (sadowsky or coppola) can make the AI sound like I want it to. And Angelopb, I do appreciate you trying to get me to play through tubes, I used to love them, still love the sound but hate the schlep and worry. Peace. ASG