1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anybody never uses amp on stage(only Di/PA)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by walibi, Mar 9, 2008.

1. walibi

walibi

Feb 5, 2008
    EUROPE/FRANCE
    Hi
    i'm in europe,new to this Forum,
    and this is my first post,now after the bad news,
    i'm sorry if i'm asking something too obvious but my search through TB archives wasn't too satisfying and considering my question could fit in different categories,i feel free to ask here if some of you players are used to playing live without using amps, only relying on DI and monitoring,and what do you feel about it?
    don't get me wrong i'm not asking for a "suitable" gear list but rather a global concept!

i've been playing upright and electric bass for many years,tried a lot of different setups but still find myself very oftenly frustrated in live situations,when it comes to hear myself good without being too loud(and achieving a decent sound if possible,without having to play too hard on the instrument,maybe i'm asking too much!)i should say i'm usually using the house equipment,though i noticed that if you're lucky they'll bring an old SVT but will not even mike it,and use DI signal only to the front,so the amp ends up being your bass monitor in some way,which in the case of the SVT is cool but a little useless in my opinion...i hope you understand what i'm trying to express here!

any help would be appreciated!

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    People who use no amps and run bass thru the house DI'd are usually in bands where the goal is isolation and sonic clarity and they'll do things like baffle up the drummer and use DI's and amp sims for bass and guitar and monitor themselves with IEM's. Nothing wrong with that, but it just isn't my thing. However, there are a lot of them out there these days, so you're not alone in wanting to do it.

Also, I know sometimes you have to use house equipment, but I've started at least bringing my own Markbass amp in a laptop bag to gigs where I have to use house equipment. I can't always control the speakers, but I can control what the house gets in the DI and what goes through the speakers. That alone is a great help.

3. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I've had a regular set of church gigs for years where I've only used a DI. Typically it is a nice tube DI so I can get a warm signal going to the board...but sometimes it is my super cheap Groove Tubes DI that I bought for $15 (it sounds just like a Countryman Type 85). I use In-Ear monitors and I don't miss an amp at these times...mind you the church that I played at is not a "typical" church...we played rock n' roll worship and would cover some secular songs as openers...we also held church in a bar/music venue in Birmingham, AL. I like my sound very flat w/ slight bass boost and highs a tad cut so running direct isn't a problem with me.

That is my $.02

4. seangoespostal

seangoespostal Guest

Aug 26, 2007
    On acoustic gigs I'll run my bass direct into the p.a. and have a small, tilt-back style amp as a monitor. I use an Ampeg BA-112. I play fretless, mostly, and I like to be able to hear myself.

5. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I only run an MXR m-80 in our practice room. This is so i only have to take one bass case with everything i need in it, and leave nothing of value in the practice room. We have decent yamaha 12" monitors and practice at a fairly low volume, so i really dont need a head and cab for practice. it is also my 'backup amp" for gigs in case of meltdown. I dont use it at gigs cause my GK has a good DI built in.

6. I would *love* to know how you work that. I go mostly through the board at the pubs where I play (which is the norm for celtic bands around here), and monitors are usually... non-existent. could I PM you to ask about your set-up?

Thanks.

7. I don't mean to be rude but we just beat this one to death within the last few months, I'm sure you can find the whole thing if you look through the archives. 99% of the players including me wanted the immediacy and clarity of an amp they could control themselves right behind them on stage. I always bring my own SVT and insist on it being mic'ed.

8. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I use the MXR M80 direct into the PA for church gigs. We have good monitors so it's not problem at all.