1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody notice any difference between the two SVT 15Es?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 9Thumbs, Nov 13, 2018.

1. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I have a set of cabs (115,410) that have the full 3/4 inch plywood or, whatever it is, sides. There are cabs that are made of much thinner stock and are considerably lighter. Has anyone ever done a side by side comparison?

Do the thinner, lighter cabs have the same thump?

Thanks, I have tried a bunch of smaller cabs in the reasonable price range and none of them can handle the low E of my upright at big volume, so I'm stickin with Ampeg.

2. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    The thicker material is OSB (oriented strand board), typically seen on the made in USA Ampeg cabs from St. Louis Music. The thinner material is plywood, typically seen on the newer LOUD-era Ampegs made in Vietnam or China. As you have observed, the plywood is much lighter and also is more puncture resistant with rough handling.

I have a used 410HE from 2008 that took me a while to find because I was specifically looking for a plywood model due to the weight savings, and most I saw online were older OSB versions. The quoted weight on the Ampeg website for the 410HE is 91 pounds, which is the correct weight of the older OSB version, not the current model. The newer plywood model is 75 pounds. I got mine down to 57 pounds by switching to neo Basslite drivers and removing the horn and crossover.

As for tonal differences, I doubt there would be much attributed to the cabinetry material differences as long as the bracing is in tact, the internal volume is the same, and the stuffing/lining is the same. That's not to say that the driver specs hadn't fluctuated between various periods of production, as is commonly noted here about 2000-2006 being the "dark" voicing years for the 10" speakers. My 410HE didn't have much polyfill in it; only a few sides in the top and bottom speaker chambers were lined with the rest bare. I added foam mattress topper to the bare sides.