Anybody on TB Into Scale Modeling?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Folmeister, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Hear me, Bass Gods!

I have been into scale modeling since I was a kid and it is one of the two great hobbies of my life (bass, of course, is the other). Are there any other TBers that also enjoy the miniature constructive arts? I have noticed that many bass players are of the same personality type as those involved in scale modeling. If there are, please share your favorite subjects, stories, and observations!
  2. like model airplanes?

i like those!

3. I have built many models in the past. I probably have close to 200 model airplanes in 1/72 scale that are sitting in boxes, and one box of 1/24 scale model cars. The cars include a few older sports cars, some early 60's cars and some customized cars from the 50's [50 Ford, 50 Merc].

The airplanes were my focus. I have modern American military, American military from the 50's and 60's, American military helicopters, but the magority is WWII American, German, and a few Russian and Brittish. I also have a good amount of General Aviation. Fun hobby. Don't do it much anymore. Other hobbies took their place, though I intend on displaying them someday in the future when I have the space to do so.
  4. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
  5. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Thanks for responding! Aaah, yes, 1/72 scale aircraft! I am a 1/35 and larger armor nut myself. I also have a closet full of unbuilt kits that irritate the heck out of my wife. I guess it's plastic GAS! I also have taken a break as I am playing more music and exacto blades are hell on the fingers.
  6. well, now that i know what we are talking about! :D

yeah, i love model airplanes! my dad got me into them when i was a lot younger. I kinda slowed down with the models when i got into a new (expensive) hobby...bass playing. anyways, i was getting tired of painting without an airbrush. i couldn't afford an airbrush (come on...i was 8) so i just painted them with my tiny took a few hours, but it beat my other alternative...spray painting them, which would take a few days to dry. I would get back into models now (i have enough unopened boxes at home) but i really don't have the room anymore. But i have made hundreds of model airplanes!

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Model building was an absolute obsession of mine while growing up. I've built hundreds and hundreds of them. I went through a lot of different phases too.

Car phase: Built just about every (MPC) model that was on the shelves at the time (I'm talkin many moons ago - don't want to let on to my age though). I liked to mix kits and customize them. Used to burn pinholes into the engine and use heavy black thread to hook up spark plug wires. I remember hunting for months all over new york with my parents for a kit of 57 chevy nomad. When I finally found it I felt as though I had met god.

I believe I also built every Revell motorcycle kit in existence. Some of them 2X. My favorites were the police motorcycle, and the chopped hog. Ohhh the memories.

Built all the famous monster models, plus the superman, batman, spiderman, etc. Do you by any chance remember the skeleton models that did dumb stuff with rubber band hookups. I vaguely do, perhaps you can refresh my memory. I remember only half of them ever really worked. Ohhh damn! And ZINGERS!!!!! The whacky little cars with HUGE engines sticking out of the tops and hoods.

In my teens I got into balsa airplanes. Guilloes. I immediately abandoned the plastic models. It took me exactly a week to complete one. I think the dope I used to paint and shrink the paper brain damaged me.... that's when I turned to music. :)

I've started models over the past 10 years - but never seem to be able to complete them. Had a great Munsters model that I was taking my time with (and enjoying it), but never got around to finishing it. Same with a balsa wood sopwith camel. Completed the fusilage and tail peices and then it sat in my closet till I moved. It moved into the garbage. You may have sparked something in me. I have time this summer - perhaps I'll go out and buy myself a little peice of nostalgia. Thanks.
  8. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I really liked building these things when I was much younger...the only problem was that you couldn't play with them when they were done :meh: just sat a looked at 'em. So I returned to my buckets upon buckets of GI Joes.

I'd probably enjoy it now as a stress reliever of sorts. I probably still have some in boxes...hmmmm....maybe I'll break them out and give it a try again.
  9. Yeah, man. I'll gnaw your face off.
    -Teh C.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was exactly the same as a kid - literally hundreds and hundreds of model planes and I progressed onto flying models as well.

But since going to University, discovering music and girls....!! ;)

I may have done 1 or 2 - for nostalglia /relaxation.... in 20 years!
  11. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Modeller here :)

I started with 1/12 scale motorcycles and then moved on to 1/35 scale armour and 1/48 scale aircraft. My last project was a 1/350 scale USS Enterprise aircraft carrierwhich I have had to put away partially completed as we are moving overseas.

When we get settled in the UK then I am planning on taking the plunge into wooden ships.

If you ask reeeallllly nicely then I may post some pics :D
  12. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    I used to be big into Warhammer, but I got tired of painting that small. But I did break out some of my old models the other day to try and sell them (to support my bass habit of course), but I ended up only selling some and I am now in the process of painting one of my old armies!
  13. From the time I was about 8 to the time I left for college I was DEEP into the scene. And this was the heyday of model car's. I had a complete shop with power tools, airbrushes, paintbooths - everything to build better models. I left the custom rod stuff alone for the most part and built racing machines. I was soon doing full detailing with aluminum sheet, wiring, simulated rivets, crash damage, heat discoloration, dirt, etc. I won a coupla contests here and there. I even went so far as to get the rules books from my favorite tracks and series and built my models to meet sanctioning body rules. Towards the end of my involvement, I was beginning to cast my own tires and make some vacuum molded parts.

About 10 years ago, I was approached by a family friend to build a replica P-51 Mustang. He was a flier in occupied Japan after the war and he wanted a replica of his aircraft. Well, with his help - photos, recollection, etc.- I put together a killer, museum quality model of his aircraft. He was ecstatic at the results. I was pretty happy also. It helped that it was a larger scale than the 1/24-1/25 car models of my day because the parts fit my hands better. I couldn't imagine the smaller stuff now.

I really liked the AMT models, probably because they had the best tires for my taste. Also, some of the Johan circle track issues were incredible with more detail than I'd seen before. Two of my most ambitious projects were a Lindbergh Fiat Topolino Fuel Altered with working driveline in 1/8 scale and one of the working see-through V-8 engines I built with the help of my dad. That was a neat display with the plugs firing and everything.
  14. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    May I pleeeeaaaase see some pictures of your work? I have always wanted to attempt plank-on-plank wooden ships! Was the Enterprise kit the really cool one from Tamiya? There is a really good one now out from a company called Trumpeter.
  15. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Excellent! I started casting my own parts in resin with RTV right before I went back to music. I also was looking into building my own vacuform machine and toying with learning photo-etched techniques. Modeling today is much like playing bass - full of new, boutique manufacturers that make the hobby unlike what it was in the past!
  16. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Nice! Very nice! I loooove sci-fi and you do it well!
  17. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Scale models? Sounds pretty gay to me.

That said, I used to be into that stuff. I used to construct and race 1/10 scale remote controlled cars, if that counts. I also collected D&D and Warhammer figures to make the battles more realistic, as well as built scale replicas of battlefields and such. It was pretty cool stuff.
  18. Thanks Folmeister !
  19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Model railroading here.