1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody only play fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperSonic!!!, Oct 30, 2006.

1. SuperSonic!!!

SuperSonic!!!

Oct 26, 2005
    YORKSHIRE
    S'up.

After considering converting my main bass to fretless, I was wondering if any of you lot only play fretless and/or have a fretless as your main instrument.

And if yes, let's see 'em! :)

2. personally, I love fretless....but I would never consider only fretless

3. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I play fretless about 50% of the time. I used to play it more like 75%-80%, but a recent addition of a 7 string cut into the fretless use somewhat.

I still prefer the fretless sound, but now I'm using it mostly for jazz and some R&B stuff. Both basses always go the gig, however.

FBB fretless 6

[​IMG]

FBB fretted 7

[​IMG]

Side-by-side at the gig

[​IMG]

4. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I played only fretless from '96-'98. I'd post a picture, but a.) don't feel like reposting it, b.) don't feel like it, and c.) it's a beater and not terribly pretty. My main bass for about the first 6 months of this year was my Breedlove Atlas fretless AEB - it a better match with what we were doing than my Jazz.

Maybe it helped with the old beater fretless that I hadn't developed my "fretless voice" yet, so I didn't emphasize the "Mwaaah" enough to cause problems. But then again, "Fretless Only" isn't a problem if you have a high enough level of creative freedom in your band or musical environment.

5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I'm moving in that direction, I haven't played anything with frets on a gig in 6 months or more.

6. I used to play a fretted '77 Precision, but since i got my Andre Van Der End Fretless, I haven't played anything since, and I'm really loving the fretless bass. I mainly play jazz & fusion.

Here it is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I've considered switching to only fretless. I just got my first fretless a couple months ago and I can't put it down. The sound is just perfect for everything I want to do. Ever since I got the fretless I get tons of compliments as well. Mostly it's just people impressed I'm playing with no frets, alot of people don't understand it's not really much harder than a fretted if you know the fretboard well. I think it's easier to play actually, but I am a bit of a musical genius. :D

I'll still have the fretted around though, just to remind me why I love the fretless so much.

8. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I recently got a fretless again and am loving it. I wouldn't do fretless only, because I love slap, but I would consider going to mainly fretless.

Well, since you asked for pics of basses from people that play only fretless, I originally didn't post a pic. But since everybody is posting pics, here is mine:

Sully.gif

9. For a few years the only bass I had was a fretless. I picked up a fretted bass and played both for a while. Then I sold the fretless and was without for a few years. Now I have two Elrick 5 strings, a fretted and a fretless. Both are fantastic but I play the fretless 90% of the time. I don't know how to post pics so you can actually see them (They are always little attachment pics) so I spare you squinting to see the basses.

10. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    When I was in college all I owned was fretless basses. It wasn't until I started getting into slap that I broke down and got my first fretted bass.

Now a days, even though I have both I still consider my fretless basses as my main instruments. I have a new Carvin Icon IC4 fretless on order.....can't wait to get it! :hyper:

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I play a bit of both, but I think I lean slightly more towards the fretted side of things. Things can get a bit slappity-poppity at times, but I love playing fretless bass, because it is so easy to make vocal sounds and phrases.

If you look at Jaco, you could say he took a lot of influence from horn phrases. I pilfer vocal phrasing for melodic ideas!

12. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I've been playing mainly fretless ever since I got my Guild. Sorry, no pics yet.
    -Alex

13. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    My two main basses are fretless, a 4 string Standard Jazz and a Spector Spectorcore 5. My only fretted is a Franken P that gets played very little. My style lends itself very well to fretless and I find it very easy to express myself on the fretless. I play primarily country, blues and blues-country-rock and it fits well. I don't slap much, but you can slap on a fretless, it just sounds a bit different than on a fretted.

14. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    My primary instrument is an nscr5m
    Eub.... I prefer fretless, especially for slapping, and intend on getting a decent fretless bass guitar sometime in the future..
    pic added...
    ns.jpg

15. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I can dial in a pretty sweet slap tone on my fretless. It's not great by itself, but in a band setting playing simple slap grooves it sounds fantastic. It's certainly different though.

16. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i know a guy that has played only a 6 string unlined fretless MK III Wal since he got it new in 97' and im pretty sure that he was playing only fretless for quite a while before that, i think it the only bass he owns as well.

Dave

17. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Since coming to college, I've been using my fretless pretty exclusively at home and at jazz band. Takes a bit to adjust, but it's rewarding to do.

18. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    For about 8 years I only played fretless. I bought a Warrior 6 string fretless and frankly couldn't afford any more basses for a while. It actually got the point where I had a hard time with fretted basses due to always playing exactly on the fret. Since then I have purchased a few fretted basses - an EBMM Stingray 4, an Alembic Epic 6 and a Pedulla Rapture 5. I still play the fretless, but only about 25% of the time. It didn't get old, I just wanted to venture back into scary metal bars. Steve

19. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I've briefly owned two fretted basses in the last 30+ years of playing bass, a Starfire and a 72 Jazz. Never gigged 'em, rarely played either, don't plan to ever buy another one. Fretless is it for me, no doubt. These two are my main squeezes of the moment:

[​IMG]

20. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    The only bass I have up here in Toronto is my fretless jazz. so I play Fretless 100% of the time!

I was considering getting a GT-7 and Defretting it.

So, I love fretless!

-Mark

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021