Anybody own a Jerzy Drozd?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RAM, Sep 12, 2002.

1. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Does anyone here own a Jerzy Drozd, or at least used to own one? What are your opinions of them?
  2. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    There's a guy here in Michigan trying to sell one. Shows up on and harmony central classifieds a lot. Maybe you oughta talk to him. Looks like a cool bass.

3. I don't own one, but I've played a few. Very good construction and attention to detail. Modern tone. VERY thin neck, especially for a wooden neck. Great top woods. Custom bridge.

I would compare them in quality to the MTDs I've played.

4. I played a custom 36 fret model with a Lane Poor pup in it. Avidore body, bubinga pomele top, very beautiful, nice modern tone, wonderful playability, overall a very tasty bass.
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm actually going to try out a few at Dan Lenard's house on Saturday morning. He's the guy who runs Luthier's Access Group, the US distributor.

I've played one before and I have some memories of it seeming to be a wonderful instrument. But, I've come across zero reviews from owners; and, in fact, I can't even seem to find someone who does own one to see what their opinions are. I think there's often a big difference between someone who casually plays one in a store type setting (which I've done) and someone who has actual experience with them over the "long" haul.

One reason is exactly what was brought up: the necks. They are so very thin that I wonder about neck stability. I've heard from a few people who've experienced necks that thin that sometimes neck stability becomes an issue. Others claim no such deal. Of course, because it might also depend on the luthier's skills, I'd like to know how Jerzy Drozd basses necks are.

It wouldn't hurt if there are other opinions, either.;)