Anybody own a Tombo pocket bass harmonica?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blue4, Nov 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    These seem set up to be very easy for bass players to play. I've been trying to figure out how to get into playing outside with everybody else around the old campfire but I've been mostly unsatisfied. Pocket or rechargeable amps and your normal bass is too much work and too much to carry. The baritone ukulele I tried (and was advised not to even try due to volume) isn't loud enough. I gave mandolin a good shot, but I don't like it. We already have 1500 guitarists and plenty of percussion stuff. I think I'm past the point of wanting to really get into playing anything other than bass. But along comes this
    Tombo_Pocket_Bass-e1473367883741.jpg
    First and fifths seem pretty dang easy to play. Nothing to carry besides it, seems fairly loud from what I've seen. It's over $100 so I don't think it's a cheap throw away. If anybody has any experience with one I'd be glad to hear it before I lay down some Amazon gift points.

Edit its blow only. No draw I believe.

Oddly likes this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Never played a bass harmonica, but I have found that harmonicas in general are louder than people think.

My one thought is it looks like you are limited to roots and fifths in just a few keys - you might get bored with it REALLY quickly if that is all there is.

blue4 likes this.
  3. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    If I get into it I might get one of the larger ones. Some of them are huge. But I'm thinking I'll probably really only play it 5 or 6 times a year so the simplicity may work in my favor. I usually only practice my bass, that's what doomed me on the other instruments I've tried. I think I've about got myself talked into it. I'm sure my wife will be thrilled to hear that.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Yeah. Reading some reviews, $135 seems like a lot to pay for 8 notes. (10 holes, two duplicate) And it isn't all that loud.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021