Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody own a Volvo?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by berklee46, Mar 8, 2004.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Ok, I know a station wagon isn't exactly the most "cool" car in the world, but I've always liked the Volvo Cross Country Wagons - kind of a cross between a car and an SUV, with more emphasis on the car part, which I like.

I'm thinking about trading in my 2000 Acura 3.2TL (44000 miles) for a 2001 Volvo XC V70 (38000 miles) - plus $$$
    The Volvo has all the same luxury features as my Acura, but is more practical.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It would be nice for lugging gear to and from gigs, weekend trips, and when the time comes, it should still be a safe reliable car when we have kids. I won't exactly attract the chicks with a wagon, but my wife doesn't let me date anyway. :p
    Do any of you own a Volvo, or have you owned one? I've always owned Honda's and Acura's, so any comments (or horror stories) about Volvo reliability, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I know a couple people with 'em, they all love their cars, and they *do* come in handy when lugging gear.

3. Volvo = World's Safest Car.

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Volvos are absolute tanks, in terms of safety. Your gear and kids'll be quite safe in one.

On a somewhat related note, a friend of mine that owns a small performance shop here had a Volvo 850R. Since he got to write everything we did to it off as promotional stuff for his shop, we put a racing suspension, huge brakes, a nitrous kit (although I tried to talk him out of that), and seriously raised the boost out of the turbo. That thing, for what it was, ran like a scalded cat, and was a whole lot of fun to drive considering it was an automatic.

5. Volvo Station Wagons are the best looking cars ever made. I have never seen a car cooler than a good ol' volvo wagon.

6. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Thanks. So far it doesn't seem like such a bad idea. I know it may not be the most fiscally responsible thing to do, but it would be a car that I could hold onto for quite a while and it would still be practical for hauling gear around.

I'm also glad that Volvo seems to have a good reputation for reliability, since I've always bought Honda's and Acura's, so jumping ship is a bit scary! :eek:

7. One thing though if you wanna have the classiest looking car possible your gonna have to buy one of the ones from 70's or 80's. The super boxy ones, the best color being than golden tan. The ultimate automobile. I see then in the classifieds for super cheap so I would check around for used one.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I owned an '81 245 Wagon for about 5 years, great car, tons of room (I'm convinced that the Volvo engineers figured out how to "bend" space...;)). While everything on it was running right, it was a joy to deal with. However, once I started having trouble with my electrical system, it became a nightmare on wheels. Unfortunately, the biggest drawback to the cars is the fact that they are insanely expensive to have work done to. I finally gave up and bought a Civic, because it became prohibitively expensive to maintain and repair, but it was a good car while I had it and it ran.

9. Volvo rules! :D

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My 1st car was a 1982 Volvo 245 wagon. A fine car it lasted me until 1989 when I sold it and bought a 1983 Volvo Turbo. I loved the car but learned that turbo technology still had a ways to go, which nowadays is far superior to what it was then.
    Since then, I purchased new a '93 Volvo 850 GLT. I thought it was the worst car I ever owned, until I switched dealerships for service and maintenence. Suddenly, it was a great car after all! The dealership I was using was the real problem. Even my wife, (formerly the 850's biggest critic) had to admit that it was a good car after all.

We now own a 2001 Volvo V-70. It has been a terrific car. No quirks or "bugs" of any kind. The stereo is pretty darn good too.
    I have a few reccomendations for you:
    If you are going to buy "new", then stick to the maintenence guide that comes with all the other paper on your car. Do as per the owners manual says(regarding maintainence) and most dealerships will honor many items if they go awry even after the warranty expires. If you have one exclusive company take care of your car, as per the owners manual, you can use that as your leverage if you do have issues ("heck, it's their car!"). Yes, it is more expensive, but it has (at honorable dealerships) its own built in warranty of that business' goodwill toward the community they serve. My current dealership is that kind of business. (As is the BMW dealership for that other car I own)
    Avoid the turbo motors where you can. Both the 850 and the V-70 are naturally aspirated motors because the turbo charger costs more as an option, and the benefit of having one in most of todays cars is very little. Plus, it's one more thing that wears on your motor, the parts, oil, and the car overall.

If you buy a used vehicle, use CARFAX.com to trace its history, and make sure the Seller has all/most of the maintainence records. It's better still if they were loyal to one dealership.
    Good Luck, and PM me if you want to.

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Had a 60's-something PV544 "Amazon" in college. The body was thick steel and the thing practically refused to die until the back end gave out during an exceptionally hard winter in the early 70's (this was back when European cars weren't made for the greater driving distances we U.S. drivers commonly drive).

The name - "Volvo" - means "I roll"........and mine went about 200,000 miles.

[​IMG]

The only diss I've heard regards their fancy-schmantzy C70.....reliability problems.

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've owned nothing but Volvo wagons for close to ten years now. I currently have a 90 740 and a 94 940. The V70s are very nice but a bit smaller, I wish they still sold the larger wagons here.

They make great cars for gig travel: comfortable seats for the long drives, decent gas mileage, and big enough to store a ton of gear. With the 60/40 rear seats, I've done trips carrying two bandmates, my URB, EBG and amp plus all their gear (guitar amp, 2 guitars, saxophone, music stands, mike stands).

Yes, repairs are pricey but the cars run forever. I only paid $5K for the 740 used with 130K on the odometer (which I'm convinced got rolled) and have put another 110K on it since I got it. I couldn't have gotten a new wagon for that kind of money; even with the repairs I've paid for I'm still ahead. The 940 I bought new and has over 250K on it, running great.

13. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    The CC is a great looking car no doubt.... but think resale value! Acura takes the cake in that dept.
    BUT... that Volvo is a great car!

14. I've had a couple Volvo station wagons and they are great. Very practical, very safe, and very reliable. They are also surprisingly fast. It will be more expensive to repair than your Acura or Honda.

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, Ford owns Volvo, if that's what you mean. If it's your personal economy you're concerned with, there are far worse purchases you can do. (The Volvo XC 90 instantly comes to mind! ;))

I like Volvos. The V70 (XC or not) is a great car. Not even three months of working at the Torslanda Volvo plant discouraged me. ;)

16. I look at the Volvo wagon as being the "OG" original gigmobile. Toyota copied that boxy style and incorporated it into the Camry wagon, but Volvo was doing it years before. I look at the Cross Country as being an improvement on the Subaru Outback Wagon, unless Volvo was making the Cross Country before 96-97 or so.

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    :ninja:

18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York

The boxy 80's versions have a ton of room under the hood. So much that I'd like to find one, rip out the anemic 4 banger and stuff a smallblock Chevy in there and go Mustang hunting.

The ultimate sleeper. :ninja:

19. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Thanks everybody. I made the move tonight...I brought my wife up to check it out and drive it and while she was dead set against liking a station wagon from the get go, she admitted that she liked it, and enjoyed driving it more than my Acura. :eek: (Even I didn't go that far!)

So, the deal is based on my mechanics approval, and the Acura dealership will fix/repair anything that may be wrong with the car, so at least I know that any issues will be resolved. They said that it will be gone over just as if I was buying a used Acura from them, which put my mind much more at ease.

May even be ready this weekend. :D

But, now you may see my brand new custom Curbow up for sale very soon... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

20. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hey!! I resemble that! Current ride is an '82 240 DL wagon... One gear-hauling mofo!! Like P. Aaron says, keep current on the maintenance and they run forever...

True story... a few years ago I was rear-ended at a stoplight while driving an '81 sedan by a lady driving a new Camry, (Didn't even have plates yet)... Totalled the Camry, complete write-off... Ruined the beauty strip on the Volvo's bumper and the left tail-light!! The insurance company had the Volvo inspected for frame damage and there was zero! My wife didn't even believe that I was in an accident until I took her down to look at the other car ;)

-robert