anybody own any DEAN basses..........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Fila, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    and how are they and what model do you have? how do they compare to late 70s Fender? etc etc.....thanks
  2. Kirk Bryant

Kirk Bryant

Aug 23, 2004
    , Oregon
    I own a late 99' dean 5 string frettless. I use it mostly on Jazz gigs. I have found it to be an amazingly good bass for the money ( I also own a custom made Rumian 4 string made by a luthier in SF,CA.)
    It plays well looks good (blood red) and sounds good. I have had many compliments from guys on several gigs. It has passive pu's, a fairly flat and thin neck (read easy to play) and is fairly light and well balanced. over all I would say its the best $500 electric I have ever owned. Captain kirk
  3. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i have a dean edge 5 i got in 2001 and its a really good bass that sounds great. its actually for sale if you're interested. i no longer need a 5 string but if it were a 4 or 6 i would be keeping it
  4. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i play a dean q4 edge as a main bass, ive owned a q6 edge also.

they are great basses for the money, but you cant compare them to a fender, two diffrent beast.

i have a SX jazz bass with SD antiquity pups, sounds competly diffrent then my EMG w/ preamp dean.

i think i (overpayed) about 450 for my dean new.
  5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I used to own a Dean Rhapsody 8 string.
    I really liked it, not as hard to play as I'd thought and it sounded great, deep and yet clear.
    I sold it...
    But only so I could buy a Rhapsody 12 string.

The 12 came to me in a state thet made it extremely hard to
    play, all those thick strings had put a vicious bow in the neck.

I put new strings on it, the thinnest I could find, not a 12
    string "set" which are too thick but .85 Rotosounds and La Bella piccollo bass strings. Now it plays as great as it sounds.

I've played 4 and 5 strings in music stores, b/c when I am checking out an amp I want to hear a good bass, and I know I can rely on Deans to sound good. Modern sounding, tight and crisp; wouldn't compare any I've tried to a Fender in tone or feel, totally different but still good.
  6. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    As in the other Dean bass thread, I still love my Brian Bromberg 5. Fast, the best tone I've ever had, detailed sound. Incredible for the money, though I couldn't leave well enough alone and dropped a set of Bart 57J1s in it. Now it is ultra-incredible. The piezos in the Fishman bridge are the best!
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My experience with Dean matches Kirk Bryant's. Mine is also a 99 fretless 5 Edge with passive eq. Mine is black, that's me playing it in my avatar. Sounds great live or recorded, looks great, balances great, neck plays nice, everything good! I love it but I sold it to my nephew in favor of a Brice 6 fretless. The Dean was a better bass in every way than the Brice, but was more than twice the price so it better be!!! :)

I would recommend Dean with no hesitation.
  8. raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    I have a Dean Edge 5 Passive with EMG HZ and love it. It has nice tone variations to it and is comfortable to play.
  9. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have a jeff berlin sig bass made in korea.
    Its kinda like dean's knock off of their own euro made basses.

This bass single handedly restored my faith in korean made basses.
    This is a solid instrument with great features for a rediculious used price of 170.

10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I had a Jeff Berlin Standard and I hated it. It was honestly one of the worst playing basses I ever had. The neck was nice, fast and slim, and the action was low, but no matter how I had it adjusted, I had to play ultra light (for me) or else it would buzz. Also, the truss rod nut rounded out rather easily too, and I know of atleast a few other people who this happened to. On the plus side, the tone was great, that's what made the playability such a shame.
  11. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Had an Edge 5' was solid and really nice to play. It was pretty heavy by my standards. Got rid of it when I realized I have no business playing any bass with more than 4 strings.
  12. Desire

Jul 4, 2004
    Got a Dean Edge 5 and really like it. Great tone and plays well (feels great) and for me reasonably light (9.5 lbs). I would buy another if this one got stolen or lost. As matter of fact I couldn't believe the sound when I first brought it home. Mine is active with Dean branded pups.
  13. I've had my Edge 5 for three years and it sounds just as good as it did when i got it, and it holds up well to hard use. I would say better strings are needed though...didn't like the stock ones. I've got DR Lo-Riders on it and it sounds great. The only issue I've had with it is that its strap button screws come loose (not all the way, just enough that the button will spin) although this may be due to my tight-fitting Kepur strap.
  14. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles

I went to his school - The Players School of Music - and he preaches low action, turn up, play lightly. It's his style and it's the style is teaches. It's jazz for crying out loud :oops:

Note: I studied jazz piano, not bass.
  15. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I´d love to have a Rhapsody 8 string. I´ve dreamed about an 8-string bass since I heard Pearl Jam´s "Jeremy" back in 1991!!!!
  16. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Wanna hear a real 8 string ripping like nothing you've ever heard before? Check out early Man-O-War CD's. Joey Demaio was a bass tech for Sabbath before he ventured out on his own and created some of the worlds greatest 8 string riffs ever......FYI
  17. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

That´s nice, I´ll check it out!!!