Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody own the Aguilar DB359?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Charlie Quatro, May 2, 2001.

1. I'm trying to make a decision between the Aguilar and the EBS Fafner.

I'm not having much luck finding any reviews on the Aguilar.

If you have one tell me about it.

Will it perform as well as a 500-600 watt solid state amp.

Even the nearest distributer to me says the just started carrying them and has not heard one.

This is after he kept telling me that if I realy want that 'honey and butter' bass sound then Aguilar is the way to go.
    Salesmen!

The upside is he will allow me to return it if I order and am not satisfied.

I will be driving two Bag End 2/10"+horn cabs rated at 400 RMS each.

Any info would be helpfull.

Thanks,
    Charlie

2. I used to have one, but I sold it because it wasnt enough power for my 215s and 212s. For 2 Bag ends you should be in business. I, without question, think it is THE most beautiful sounding amp out there. I couldn't help but to smile everytime I heard it. I used to ask bands that opened for use to use it just so I could sit in the crowd and listen to this monster. But thats just me. :D

3. So you think I will get substantial volume from it with 4/10s+2horns?
    That's about all I can fit in my car.

BTW what are you using now?

I take it you like the Bag Ends? Haven't received mine yet.

Thanks,
    Charlie

4. Sorry, you didn't actaully say you had Bag Ends.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I personally believe (mainly word of mouth) that the Fafner is the louder, grittier and meaner of the two (but you can get it super-clean as well). You're looking at two absolute top-notch amps, and this is a case where you really should A/B them through your Bag Ends. I know, you can't, I'm just saying that you should. :)

I was actually supposed to buy a Fafner, but I backed out of the deal I had goin' on... too much money for me right now, and there's a whole lot of other stuff that I felt I had to get... such a shame, but I guess there's a time for everything. :(

No personal experience with Aguilar, but man, I would like to try them. Especially the new hybrid amp they've released (I think? Not on their website...) - you should take that one into consideration as well. I think it was 750W or something, and around the same price as the Faf.

Oh, how I wish I had your dilemma. :)

6. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    I can tell you one thing for sure about Aguilar amps--they sound incredible. The DB359 will produce more sound that a SWM SM400s (bridged 550W into 8 ohms). I have played The DB728 with the DB680 preamp and have been blown away by the sound and by the amount of power this beast has. I have not played a gig yet where I can turn up the volume past 50% with a modest preamp level. I can't wait to do some outdoor reggae gigs with no PA so I can let that thing out. By the way, if you buy an Aguilar, you better set aside some $ for a deep rack case as they are about 18-19" deep.

Digs

7. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    By the way, if you buy an Aguilar, you better set aside some $ for a deep rack case as they are about 18-19" deep.

Digs [/B][/QUOTE]

Just a quick note - SKB makes a nice injection molded rack mount case that fits the Aggie just fine. They are very affordable and offer good protection for local transportion. And they weigh in at a mere 12lbs.

8. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

My bass amp consists of an original SWR Bassic 350 and a Goliath Jr. II. The store I bought my new bass from had an Aguilar DB359. I decided to A/B it with my 350. I didn't bring my cab so we used an Aguilar 4x10.

Now being part guitar tube snob, I was prepared to fall in love with the DB359. When I used my ears instead of my eyes, it was a different story.

I initially figured the 350 would be inferior. What I ended up hearing was two, very different sounds. Both of them being very good and very professional sounding. Just different.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while the Aguilar was excellent, it isn't the final word in amps. There are different amps for different tastes.

While it would be great to have both sounds to go between, I'd have a hard time going without the SWR.

LeonD

9. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hi
    I brought home a 359 3 days ago I'm trying to figure out how to mount it in a rack.

I was told to figure out how to support the rear of the unit cause its heavy and long enough to bend the face plate mounting tabs. any thoughts?

what a tone though!just as load as my old amp ( Eden wt500 in bridged mono mode) into my 8 ohm Eden 2 12 XLT cab not a loud rig I know but does all I need
    thanks
    Andrew

10. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.

Hey Andrew, Look at SKB Cases. I own the Aguilar DB 728 (big mutha) power amp. I bought the SKB roto cases for it. (mainly because they're very light!) Because of the corrugated design, it support the rear of the amp just fine and these cases are VERY affordable.

They also have their "new" original hard shell cases that cost a little bit more but have few more features that you may like, such as front and rear mounting rails and deeper covers.

And don't let the plastic thing fool you, these are some very tough cases. Both offer very good protection without having to add 30 or 40 lbs to an already heavy rig! :eek:

Check em out on their website at www.skbcases.com and see what you think.

11. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    Andrew,
    One thing Ive done in the past is to cut a piece of plywood into the shape of a square C, where the notch of the C fits over the back edge of the amp and the height of the C is adjusted to just fit snugly inside the rack case. This worked well to support the rear of the amp for a power amp I had that was mounted in the middle two spaces of a 4 space rack.
    Digs