Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody play a Steinberger?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by astar, Jun 15, 2004.

1. astar

astar

Jun 10, 2004
    Any Steinberger Players out there. I don't see anything other that Spirit basses listed on their website.

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    There are a few people around here.

Benjamin Strange, when he returns from job interviews, will see this thread and proceed to talk about how his Steinbergers are the greatest basses ever (and I gotta admit, they look kinda cool). Stay tuned. :D

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'd like to find one of these in a 5 string model..

[​IMG]

4. i loved playing my friends fretless 5 string spirit. it's like a big black baseball bat.

5. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I've had this '86 for 2 years and I just had it restored by Peekamoose. I'm getting it back on Friday and I can't wait! Incredible instruments.

[​IMG]

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I have a Steinberger Spirit XT, and I bring it to every gig as a back up bass. It's light and compact, so it's easy to lug around for emergencies. The thing stays in tune like nothing else, and doesn't sound bad either.

My only complaint with it, is that is hangs funny when I play it standing up. I find that I am constantly shifting the bass to make it somewhat comfortable to play.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My XM2A is one of my main two basses (with my Sterling). Great bass!

I also have a Spirit XZ-2 for a refin project I'll get around to some day...

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I owned an original XL back in the day, and it was an awesome instrument. I regret selling it and would grab another if I found it at the right price. It sounded great, had a large range of tones, never went out of tune, was small, light and tough. Strings aren't hard to get, provided you don't expect the local music store to have them in stock; there are plenty of online sources such as JustStrings or Status.

Today I own a Hohner B2 (licenced copy of the XL in maple) and it's great too. The advantage of this one is that I've had the neck shaved down, put different pickups in it, cost very little, and stays in tune literally for years. I also made a pivot plate so it hangs correctly on my body now, just like the originals. I like it's tiny size because I can take it to work on my bike* for those long boring shifts, it will fit in my flight case with another of my basses as a spare/backup and it annoys the hell out of the traditionalists.

If you have an opportunity to get a Steinie at a good price, and of course you like it's feel and tone, grab it, they're great instruments and you shouldn't lose any money on your investment.

* I've been pulled over by the Police a number of times when riding with it over my shoulder in a gigbag, because they want to know why I'm carrying a "shotgun"....just on the way to the bank, Officer.... ;)

Still looking for a B2V if anyone has one.

9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I agree, when the Sniper was on the loose in the Washington DC area, I got a lot of funny looks when I had the thing slung over my shoulder in a gigbag. I've also had a co-worker asking me why I brought a rifle to work.

10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    They're a little light for my taste. That weightless headstock (not) makes the neck a little hard to handle (for me). I like a bass that comes back into place when you bump it. I like some meat around the headstock, and lately I've come to appreciate the "valuate" (that's the little bump that some luthiers put on the back of the neck right where it meets the headstock), I've been using it to get some better leverage with my thumb while playing near the nut. I've owned three Steinbergers over the years, one with a Roland synth attachment built in, and none of them lasted more than six months. Nice concept, nice lookin' bass, and nice soundin' too, but it doesn't work for me. Even in the studio, when I can sit down, the darn thing just moves around too much. Just my 2c worth of experience...

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Here I am!

Take note: STEINBERGER BASSES ARE THE BEST INSTRUMENTS KNOWN TO MAN.

That said, I love my XMs. They stay in tune, balance perfectly, have a nice thick neck that keeps my hands from cramping, sound great, and have Steinberger TransTrems on them!

Behold:

[​IMG]

I've modded mine a little. The one on the right has a 3 way switch for pickup selection, and an Aguilar OBP1 in there, running at 18v. The one on the left is waiting for a new fretless Moses neck and a pair of Rio Grande Pitbull pickups (where are you, UPS?!). I'm going to wire this one with nothing but a three way switch between the pickups and the output jack. Depending on how this sounds vs. the other bass, I may do that to both basses.

I envy me.

12. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Everytime I play one of these basses I feel like my left hand is going to go flying off the end of the neck. It's really hard, for me anyway, to get used to not seeing a headstock. This is obviously not an issue for Benjamin....have you heard his music? He gets around on the things just fine.

13. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Reminds me of an old joke about the male anatomy... :D

14. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It's a common misconception that you hand will just go flying off. I personally never touched the headstock when I was playing before, so I don't miss them now. Do people really use the headstock as a guidepost/speedbump when they're playing?

It's also a common misconception that I get around on my basses pretty well. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Whoa! My first saying quoted in sombody else's signature! You make me feel all squishy inside, Bassturtle.

15. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Can't you buy cheap knock offs of them from musicyo? Are those any good at all?

16. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yes!

17. i envy you too.....hmm, reminds me of a few Duran Duran Film clips...lol...id love an xl....i tried a hohner the jack II the other day and that was nice.....but i love the kubicki 'headstocks'
    [​IMG]
    Why cant kubicki's have trem's :bawl:
    i love headless basses :D :smug:

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I play a Ned Steinberger 5-string electric upright - see left - my favourite bass!!

19. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Man, I love those things! I've been considering getting one of Ned's cellos - I just wish it had the magnetic pickups on it like the bass does.

Bruce, does yours have the traditional neck profile, or does it indent like some of the new ones I've played?

20. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    No, my hand never comes in contact with the headstock while playing. It just throws me off not having the headstock there...I guess I can't explain it...I...ummm...if...just...****IT, I DON'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN MYSELF TO YOU!

:rollno:

I just thought it was a great quote that had endless possibilities and meanings :D