Anybody Play any Sadowskys?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderBassMan10, Nov 29, 2004.

1. I was looking at 5-strings, and saw a Sadowsky. I was wondering if anybody owns or played one?

What are the good things and the bad if so? All i know is there pretty exspesive and i heard they had real good, deep tone.
  2. There are alot of Sadowsky owners on the boards. They'll be by shortly I'm sure.

They have incredible tone that's for sure.
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Lots of members of these boards play Sadowsky basses.

As a mater of fact, Roger Sadowsky is a member and so is one of his employees who goes by the name Nino Brown.

Just do a search and you'll find all you need to know about Sadowsky basses.
  4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I have owned 12 over the years and have 3 presently. One is a NYC 5 string. Ash body, beautiful quilt top, maple neck and board, hum cancelling pickups, 8.25lbs!!!!!!!

The best sounding of my 3. Deep and thumpy but very clear and articulate. They are all I play.

Here is a pic. Good luck

5. Welcome to Talkbass!

If you do a search, you'll find Sadowsky reading material that will last you a good long time! They're not for everyone, but they seem to make many of us very happy!

I own 3 Sadowskys - all NYC Models - all 5 strings. I have a Vintage 5, a 24F fretless and a 24F fretted. I decided on Sadowskys after owning many brands and playing everything I could get my hands on. I have never played better instruments than Sadowskys. They make me smile every time I pick one up.

Good luck!
  6. I have 4 Sadowsky in my arsenal. Superb basses. Do a search and you'll find a deluge of opinions and threads.
  7. could someone give me the typical going range on a used sadowsky? if you guys were going to sell one what would be the lowest you would go?
  8. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I also play a Sadowsky 4. Have owned many basses over the years and this is the one that I always take.
  9. I have Sadowsky's and Laklands all superb. My Sadowsky's are a NCY Vintage PJ/4 Alder/Morado and a newly aquired Metro MV4 Ash/Maple. Don't be afraid to purchase a Metro they are very very close to the NYC with a huge savings. I keep obsessing about a 5 string but don't like to switch back and fouth from 4 to 5 and I really don't need a B-string....but I still hear the voices.... :help:
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  11. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Although it's not the same, I really liked my "Poor Man's Sadowsky" that I built. I took a MIM Jazz and installed (with some help from Roger on the phone) a Sadowsky preamp and pair of pickups. It sounded really nice. I haven't heard or played a real Sadowsky, but I go a lot of compliments on mine.
  12. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON

Does Roger actually pay you or just give you basses for your time :eek:
    A fine collection of basses.
  13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm supposed to get paid in cash?!?!?!?! :confused:

14. What a great job too.....
  15. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Like mixed reviews on the Metro B strings.
  16. ksukev

Aug 24, 2004
    Here's my "mixed" review on the Metro 'B' string. "It sounds absolutely awesome in the "mix"". I went from a 35" scale Modulus to a 34" Sadowsky Metro Vintage 5. While I'd say the actual feel of the 'B' on the Modulus was tighter (given the scale) the tone of the Sadowsky is MUCH bigger. The Sadowsky's may not be for everybody so wait to see if a used Metro pops up, well worth the $$. Myself, I'm loving my Metro and saving for a NYC fretless 5. At the rate I'm saving, I should have one just after the arthritis kicks in...

"My wife works 2 jobs to support my band habit"
  17. asking talkbass if anyone has played a sadowsky is like asking if anyone has ever taken a breath.
  18. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I own 4 Sadowskys ... I use them all the time...always get my desired sound.

One of them is a 24 fret 5 string.
    Its an incredible sounding bass.....
    If you are planning on purchasing a 5 string and his basses are within your budget you should check them out before purchasing anything else...he does have a trial period.