Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody play through both an Epifani and Glock cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hofbrauhaus, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Ok...looking to upgrade my rig to boutique stuff, and am going to start with cabs and later on get a Read Purity pre and QSC poweramp. So...has anybody here played through both Epifani and Glock cabs? I know a lot of you prefer the Bergantinos over the Epifanis but I personally think the Epifanis sound sweeter to by ears. The Bergantinos had a little too much emphasis on the highs in my opinion...and I have bright basses...Stingray5 with rounds and a maple bodied Warwick with TI-flats that is oh so buttery smooth! So since Bergies are out of the question...who can compare Epifanis to Glocks for me? Price is roughly the same as well as weight so I'm looking just for comparison of sound and which you'd prefer. I don't have the opportunity to play through any Glocks. All opinions welcome, thanks!

2. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    No one has? :meh:

3. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    ...I'll bump ya and tell ya my Read Purity is everything I had hoped for. TONE to die for. Just the right features. Superb customer service. You won't be sorry.

Tom H.

4. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    hey man thanks, yeah I listened to some preamps on basstasters and I knew I just had to have the purity...seemed to have clarity and attack similar to solid state with the warmth of tubes...it just seems perfect from all the reviews I've read as well. I'm just trying to figure out what cabs I want now since I've decided that the Bergantinos I originally wanted were almost too hi-fi sounded and also seemed a little scooped. The Epifanis I tried just seemed to have more and better mids, and now I'm just curious about the Glock. I'm also really curious about Schroeders as well though, and from what I read they're similar to Epifanis but with more low-mids and they're priced cheaper...so those may be right up my ally. Take care

5. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I have Glock cab Acoustic art and ordering another Bass Art cab. Glock is the best bass cabinet you can buy. I have Wayne Jones, Acme , SWR, Warwick, Eden etc but nothing comparable to the attack, punch, clarity, smoothness , sweetness and balance of Glock. Some of the above cab has one but lack of the other.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I currently play a Read Purity powered by a Stewart World 2.1 through an Epifani UL 4x10. My basses are a 4-string US Spector NS-4 and a 6-string Jerzy Drozd Mastery. When I bought my Jerzy from Luthiers Access Group, my reference rigs were a Glockenklang Bass Art top through a pair of Glockenklang cabs (I don’t recall the sizes) and a Glockenklang Soul Top through an Accugroove El Whappo.

While my intention was not focused on the sound of the Glockenklang rigs, I found them to have a certain 3-dimensional quality I haven’t ever heard before. Notes seemed to jump out of the Bass Art / Glock cab rig in a way that gave them more definition and clarity then I’ve ever heard while still maintaining a smoothness not characteristic of any other rig I’ve experienced. I was almost disappointed when I got my bass home and found the EBS rig I owned (Fafner and EBS 4x10) didn’t quite measure up! BTW: I didn’t think the Glock Soul through the El Whappo was the sound for me, and was less than impressed.

Fast forward to a little over a year later when I replaced my EBS rig with my current Purity / Stewart / Epifani rig. This rig is clear and punchy, warm and defined, and has that same 3-dimensional quality I remember from the Glock rig at LAG.

Going from memory alone, since my rig was never side-by-side with the rig at LAG, there are a lot of similarities in the depth and character of each note jumping out at you. There are also differences. I think the Glock rig had a little more clarity (if that’s possible;)), while my Purity / Epi rig has a little more warmth. I don’t really miss the Glock rig anymore, as my current rig is just THAT good.

Personally, I’d think you’d be in tonal heaven with either.

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The brands that you are talking about are both great. You can't go wrong. I do however want to ask you what amp you used to test the Bergs? I assume that you tried them at Rock City Guitars in Somerville? I use a Glockenklang Soul amp (best amp I've ever played) through a Bergantino 112HT/EX combo and the sound is warm and articulate. I am truly not trying to talk you into anything, I'm just curious as what amp you tried with the Bergs. That can make such a huge difference as to what you hear. Also, did you try the NV610? It may be right up your ally.

8. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    I actually played through the Bergs at a friend's house. He had a 2X10 and a 1X15 with some Eden head. It was smooth, had some of the best high end i've heard, but it was almost too articulate and just seemed a little scooped to me. I know I could just eq in some mids, but I'd rather have it all be there rather than trying to use eq to fix something that is lacking. The Epifanis, to me, just seemed to have the mids already there without any further eq necessary. However, although I'm looking at "hi-fi" stuff I still want to be able to get an old school tone if needed. Once I get myself a p-bass I'm going to want to be able to get close to the p-bass tones you hear off of Kool and the Gang's hits, as well as the Commodores, Gap Band, Cameo, etc... Maybe I'm just dreaming that 1 rig can really do all of this but now I'm thinking the Schroeders may be right up my alley since many have compared them as to having a similar sound as Epifanis, but with more low-mids (ala Ampeg). Hmmm, we shall see!!!

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ok, Eden head, not surprised with your findings now. I used on for a while with my Berg's. Also, the 210/115 combo is always going to be a bit mid shy no matter what brand it is. That's just the nature of that setup. If you get the chance, go on up to Somerville (just outside of Boston) and try the whole line of Bergs. I guarentee you'll get different findings.

I just love the Bergs so much, I've never played anything like them. However, there are many great company's out there right now which is wonderfull. For the best value I have a feeling the Schroeders would be great for you. However, I guarentee that the Berg 112 stack would do everything you're looking for, as well as the NV610 in a different way.

Good luck man. Whatever you choose to get will not be a bad decision. Jack's Purity preamp is killin!

10. I'm going from memory (which for everyone is notoriously unreliable for sound), the glock system sounded as my bass use to when run through my home stereo - very Hi-Fi, meaning rich and full bodied - kind of a "produced" sound, as we would define some records. I use to love doing that, and currently, my EA's fall in that same vein.

For Tom H.:
    Please define "Superb customer service". What does a supplier have to do to get that "rating".

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Obviously not Tom H. here, but I'll vouch for that "superb customer service" rating for Jack. If you call him up, you'll get him. If you ask a question, you'll get a full answer. If you buy something, he'll understand if you decide you don't like it and refund all your money. If you call him late, he'll probably answer the phone.

When I bought my Stewart power amp from him (same time as my Purity), the power amp was missing the owner's manual. I called Jack about 3 months later (total laziness on my part) and told him I hadn't yet received it. He sent it to me with no questions asked, aside from my address.

I know other dealers are great to deal with, and I've worked with some (Luthier's Access Group comes to mind). But, speaking directly about Jack, you may find people who are *as good* to deal with, but you'll never find better.;)

12. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    He answers his own phone. He takes time to answer your questions. He cares about your needs. He cares about his products.

More specifically, when FedEx damaged my Purity in shipment, he covered shipping to get it fixed and he turned it around VERY quickly and got it right back to me. And the icing on the cake was he changed the inputs to both be high impedance / passive instead of one active and added a switch to switch between the inputs. So I can plug in both my passive NYBW basses and switch between them.

Two thumbs WAY up!

13. Jazzbasslover

Jazzbasslover

Dec 8, 2004
    I thought Glock made really ugly hand guns.

14. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    I play Epifani 112UL + 210UL through a Glockenklang Soul top and I really like it. I did try out Glockenklang cabs but not at full volume and not side by side to the Epi's.

I am sure that both brands offer superb quality and sound very much alike. But it's really up to your own ears to decide, I find it hard to describe the subtle differences in sound anyway. I am sure that you will have a lot of fun trying to decide between the two.

grtz, steven

15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've played thru both cabs and bergs as well... The glock ono is hands down the best 115 cab I have ever heard. $1200 bucks for a 115 is way steep. The 212 cab is great also. FYI... Bergantino designed the Epifani cabs also.I've played through the German cabs... There is also a cheaper american version which uses eminence speakers which is supposed to sound similar.

I would have to agree that the Epifani and the berg's crossover are a little different. I personally favor the berg, I think it is a little "sweeter" on the high end. I would have to say that the best value is the berg. It's close to the Glockenklang (the 115s), but not quite as expensive.

Fortunately, there is no bad decision on whatever you decide...

16. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I have Glock 212, a 210 and 115 and they are all amazing. Punchy and sweet, never painful. I use a Bass Art Classic head with them and the tone is just plain wonderful. The best I have ever had. Hope this helps.