Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody played a CP Thornton bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by burgerme, Mar 3, 2006.

1. burgerme

burgerme

Mar 3, 2006
    There one on Ebay, and it looks kinda unique with 3 Bartolini pickups.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7395180929&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

I emailed the seller, and he said "[It] has great detail and clarity like a Fender Jazz...Pickup-wise it is very hi-fi sounding...kinda reminds me of an old Alembic in feel and sound."

Is there anyone who's ever played one and could give me a little more insight? I have owned/played (and am thus familiar with the sound of) Status, Modulus, Warwick, Tobias, Ken Smith, Yamaha, Ibanez, and Westone. Anyone know if they sound like any of those?

2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    yup, and been to his shop. There are only a handful of them out there. I was actually looking to purchase one of from chuck thorntons brother before my waterpump went boom. I personally got a j'ish sound from the two I have played with... maybe a little less growl. I kinda dug it. As I recall the neck has a pretty roundish feel to it, not as flat as my 5er pedulla, tighter string spacing also.. I dunno, I have been up too long and I am babbling.. I kind-of wish he was still making basses as he is local and his current work is phenomenal also I could work out what I wanted and manage to be a pest at the same time. I would toss a deposit his way in a heartbeat with a new line of basses! :)

http://www.cpthorntonguitars.com/

3. I just bought on from Chuck that belonged to his brother. It' s a 5 string neck thru with 3 active Bertollini pick-ups. The bass in # 19 of only 43 made. Completed in 1991.
    Anyway the sound is super sweet with alot of tonal adjustment's...there is no sound you can't get with this. It feels absolutley fabulous to play. I have had a Warwick in the past and have demo'd a Pedulla once. This bass is as good as those for sure! Thanks Chuck!

darren

4. walterbriggs

walterbriggs

Jun 1, 2015
    My company does some marketing work for CP Thornton Guitars
    Chuck Thornton is once again building bass guitars, and he seems giddy about getting back to his roots. The bass is still in prototyping, but keep an eye out on his new website (cpthorntonguitars.com) or shoot Chuck an email if you want to be notified when he starts taking orders.