1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody played a fretless 10 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by amerbs38, Aug 1, 2012.

1. amerbs38

amerbs38 Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I just got a Dean 10 string used and I`m thinking about de-fretting it. I`ve played alot of fretless but I`ve never tried one with multiple strings and just wondering how much more difficult it would be to stay in tune without fret help...Kind of an obscure question I guess but what the hey...thanks

2. amerbs38

Jan 15, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    (Thats 5 pairs in octaves)

3. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    nope....never even seen a 10 string!

that would be kinda kool...

4. I once played a friend's fretless 8 by Curbow. I wasn't new to fretless, but found fretless octave strings to be a little challenging. Intonating both strings correctly was a little challenging for me.

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I played a fretless 15 string (5x3)for a while.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    You mean one like this ...

These kind of basses do better with frets and you may want to play with a pick.

Picture%20301.

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Why do you say that?

8. I believe that the string config of traditional 8s and 12s lends itself better to a pick. On the custom 8 string I played, the octave and root string went the other way, making fingerstyle work a little better.

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

It's really up to the player. I own a Dean 10 string( not fretless) and I play it fingerstyle mostly.

10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    My 8 string works well with fingers or a pick, it's the 12 string that lends itself better to pick than to fingers because it really needs to be strummed. Always wanted to try one of those 10 stringers.

11. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I have a 8string freted and i find slapping the best way to play it. If it was fretless it could give better action but intonation would be interesting

12. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    nice looking bass!

My friend..you NEVER cease to amaze me....

can you bring your 10 string to the Lakie GTG? I KNOW it is not a Lakie but I sure would love to see it...doubt I could play it though...

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

:)

Here I am playing a 15 string fretless. Fingetstyle, slapping, plucking, tapping and chordal.

14. amerbs38

Jan 15, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I actually like finger style on this one...there`s a fraction of a second pause between notes as you pick the paired strings that`s kind of cool. I`m a reformed guitar player and I even play guitar with fingers now because it`s so much more versatile and interesting (to me). Not quite ready for 15 strings...Yikes