1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody played a new "USA" Upton yet?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by wendell, Aug 19, 2007.

1. wendell

wendell

Jun 6, 2007
    Cleveland
    I am eagerly looking forward to my on-order laminate Upton bass, which is now somewhere near the setup stage, I think. Just wondering, has anyone received or played one of the USA-made Upton basses?

(They began building from scratch in CT sometime in recent months--understandibly, with such a big "retooling" they have been very quiet about it. I guess they are waiting until they are quite ready to discuss it publicly.)

Anyway, impatience has gotten the better of me. Anybody played them? Any pics out there?

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

I'm waiting on a USA-made Professor. Is your lami supposed to be USA-made?

3. wendell

wendell

Jun 6, 2007
    Cleveland
    Yes indeed.

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I don't know...I ordered my hybrid about 7 weeks ago. I assumed it would be built in Europe and shipped...perhaps I should ask.

5. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    I've just taken delivery of Professor No 25 in UK. Not sure where it was made but I'm assuming it was in USA. It's very good.

6. robboy

robboy Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Boca raton Florida
    I got an Upton Superswing hybrid about a month ago. Didn't ask about it's origin. I assume it was made in Europe and finished and set up in the US. Actually it's a great bass and i don't really care about it's origin.

7. wendell

wendell

Jun 6, 2007
    Cleveland
    True, I'd be happy either way; when I ordered mine I had no idea that they were going to start building domestically.

Found out that mine is due to ship out tomorrow so I hope to be able to post some pics later this week!

8. JazzDoubleBass.

JazzDoubleBass.

May 22, 2007
    Not a commercial business but represent a free instructional website
  9. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Anyone here played one of those?

10. dmperry24

dmperry24

Dec 11, 2006
    Stamford, CT
    I was just up to Upton Bass last Friday. It was very slow, and they tried their best to keep me amused, but nobody mentioned any USA-made basses there. I guess they are still keeping mum about everything. I suspect they will be a great product though. I just wouldn't order the first couple off the line until they get their act completely together. Building a bass from the ground up is quite a different skillset than finishing and setting up an already constructed item. I wish them luck, they are a very competent, skilled and knowledgeable bunch of folks. I wouldn't get my basses or bass equipment anywhere else (well, I might go to my local auto paint shop to get some flames painted on my Hybrid Hawkes :D ).
    Mike

11. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    From what I understand, even the first couple off the line will be well after they've gotten their act together, although I understand your sentiment. I think they've been quietly perfecting all the processes for quite some time. Perhaps it will work the opposite way-- that is, so much attention will be lavished on those first few that they will be as good or better than what follows. Who knows? The proof will be in the pudding.

12. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    If you follow the currency exchange market and/or happen to read Azolas site, you will understand the problems of importing goods from Europe. Azola used to have a model called the Euroacoustic and due to higher costs, they now make an all in-shop or at least all-USA version. Not to equate baby basses with full uprights or answer for UB, that would be my guess as to the reason for the domestic shift: cost. I'm sure it takes time to get all this done and still have a good quality product everyone seems to rave about. I have no doubt they will achieve that, considering all I've seen on this board about their quality of work.

Ike

13. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Well, I've been dealing with Upton for about 3 years now and always had great service. They seem to make a good living standing behind their products and services. I doubt they would allow a bad bass out the door with their badge on it...whether they made the body or imported it. I'd suspect they'd make sure that if any issues arise after sale, they'd jump all over it to keep thier reputation and not lose future sales. Funny thing about basses, especially uprights...there's this thing called Talkbass (and other similar sites) where buyers can get first hand feedback on products and services...good or bad, and polish or tarnish a company's reputation.

I've yet to ask if the hybrid I ordered 7 weeks ago will have an imported body or one made by UB...I kinda don't care. It would be "cool" to have one of the first US made, but it would also be "cool" to have one of the last imported bodies.

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You never know - my NS LaScala is the very first one ever made (it's on the New Standard sidebar ad), and I can't imagine it being any better.

15. dmperry24

dmperry24

Dec 11, 2006
    Stamford, CT
    Drurb:
    I suspect you are quite right about the way the Upton people will have their act together well before the first production model comes off the line. That seems to be their modus opperandi -- come up with ideas, try them out, keep the good ones and discard the bad ones, and make the good ones even better. Like I say, I own a Hawkes Hybrid and I'm thoroughly delighted with it. I'd still rather wait until the line settles down before I ordered a new bass.
    Mike

16. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, I've ordered a new Professor. We'll see... :)

17. dmperry24

dmperry24

Dec 11, 2006
    Stamford, CT
    The Professors are absolutely beautiful instruments. They are superbly carved, and the finsih is luxurious on all of the Professors I've seen. This is the Cadillac of the Upton line. I have no connection with Upton Bass other than being a proud Hawkes Hybrid owner, and they give me $1500 for every Professor they sell (just kidding about the last part; not kidding at all about the first part of the message :p )
    Mike

18. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Mine's supposed to be delivered in the last week of Sep or first week of Oct...Hybrid...body is an import.

That's fine with me. I can't see why I'd hold out for a US built body. I'm sure they'll do a great job...but the European manufacturer has plenty of experience going for it.

19. wendell

wendell

Jun 6, 2007
    Cleveland
    Well, I got my new Upton Hawkes laminate last Thursday and have been really enjoying it. It is one beautiful instrument (yes, I will post some pics soon).

Funny thing...I started this thread as I was waiting for this bass to be completed and shipped. I still don't know if it is one of the new USA basses or one of the European built--ultimately it doesn't matter, I am tickled to death to have it and I think it is going to be a monster of a bass. I can't pretend that I am not curious though, especially since no one at Upton seems willing to tell me. My label says: "Handcrafted in the workshop of Upton Bass String Instrument Co. Mystic, Connecticut."

I got Clef guts on the A, D, and G, and a Eurosonic light E. As you can imagine the guts are taking their time stretching out. Overall, the sound is great. The G string is a thing of beauty, it really sings with great gut tone. The D is a little lower in volume and oomph and the A has a huge low end bloom but lacks definition. I understand that the big fat unwound A can take weeks to gain much definition--I will definitely give it time, I think it will be great after awhile. The D too I hope will develop some more volume, not that it sounds bad, it just doesn't roar like the G. The Eurosonic E seems like a good match, not as lush as the gut, but reliably good sounding and the extra stiffness down there is appreciated.

Overall, great looks, big sound (that will only get better), and a real bargain for the money.

20. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Mine has the same label, but it is a Romanian bass.

Glad you like it.