1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody played a Warwick Buzzard ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaybass58, Jan 7, 2012.

1. jaybass58

jaybass58

Mar 31, 2009
    chicago
    I am toying with the idea of custom ordering a Buzzard to play in my Who tribute band...Anyone out there have any pros or cons ?(besides the price !!!)

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Daytona beach, Fl
    I don't know the price but I would consider a Status Buzzard over the Warwick one

todd burns likes this.
  3. Lesfunk

Apr 5, 2007
    Daytona beach, Fl
    Do you already have a "Fenderbird"?

4. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    The Status one would get my vote as well

5. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Plz share why the Status is preferred, and your general tone preference. Thx.

6. Lesfunk

Apr 5, 2007
    Daytona beach, Fl
  7. jaybass58

jaybass58

Mar 31, 2009
    chicago
    I believe Status can no longer legally manufacture the original buzzards...they have the same neck on a totally different looking bass...

8. Lesfunk

Apr 5, 2007
    Daytona beach, Fl
    That is very possible Jay

9. i have a status buzzard 2, it has the same neck and hardware/eq as the all graphite one but with a wooden body (thunderbird and P bass mixed).

john actually gigged with them in some low key venues and can be seen playing one in his rehersal room on an oxe tale DVD.

i love mine :) it gets the tone but it is missing a tiny tiny bit of high end brightness and upper mid presence than the all carbon one, in my opinion i like that as it lets it do more classic tones easier.

gary.

oh i just remembered, dean has a decent JE sig out at the mo, its a fenderbird with a weird enhancer eq, im sure a few guys on here bought the big spyder style one.

10. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    I would check around some other places before necessarily taking my opinion..... but many many people feel the Warwick's quality, even the new "custom shops", (which really just give you what used to be the Standard Warwick quality at triple the price) are sorely lacking compared to years past, and do not compete well with other basses in the $4k - $8K price range at all.....

I have never owned a Warwick Custom shop, this is just what a few people have told me and what I've read people saying here and elsewhere.

What I can say from personal experience is... the difference between a 1998 Thumb 6 BO and a 2010 Thumb 6 BO is not only night and day, it's like the difference between a Fender USA Standard Strat and Rondo Music SX Strat.... you'll have a hard time finding anyone who's actually played a '90s wick and a current wick who would disagree with me here.....

I read a review on a new Custom Shop Streamer costing over six thousand dollars which was exactly the same feature set, and still just slightly shy of the quality and workmanship found on the standard "off the shelf" Streamer stage II selling for about $2,000 a decade ago, inflation notwithstanding...

11. thing with warwick is they dont have the liecence to make JE sigs now (they have the explorer based stryker). as like i said dean now hold the rights for 5 or 10 years.... there was a thread on here about it when dean announced the JAE sig and Johns son Chris actually chimed in to straighten a few things out.

the deans look really nice, much better than the warwicks ever did. (TBH i never really liked the shapes of the warwick buzzard, the status had smooth lines and stuff where the warwick looked clunky and flat)

12. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Is that the one with like 9- 9 volt batteries?

13. LOL that was the B1 it took 5 i think.

mine uses 3, 2 for thge pre and one for the LEDs.

14. grenadilla

grenadilla

Aug 22, 2011
    alabama
    John Entwistle got a lovely clean tone with a Precision [Tommy]and a killer bite on Live At Leeds. Fender is fine. I have two Jackson Kelly basses [Explorer-shape,P-J pickups ] that I wish to make more Who-like. Should I try EMG with 3-band EQ, or go passive with a real Fender pickup set? It sounds OK now-not great.

15. first off, johns tone was not from his bass.

it was in the way he attacked the strings, once you have that add a basic compression to even out your tone and keep the high bits from spiking too high (usually under comp/limiter in multi FX), then if you use amp modelling add a bit of tube like drive (SVT or HIWATT or BOTH if you have a pod x3 or above :)) to get the gentle fizzy bite and sustained rining (think pinball wizard intro).

then johns signal got complicated, he biamped early and pretty much always used a rig for clean bassy/low mid punch fundamentals (usually a direct tone from his alembic splitter) and a top end rig (later stereo) that handled the big distortions and choruses/phasers and delays.

so yeah the right bass, be it a P or a T bird or even one of the 5 or 6 models of buzzard or a combo of all..... will help you get that tone, if you have the fingers.

16. jaybass58

jaybass58

Mar 31, 2009
    chicago
    Okay,so I finally got the chance to demo the Warwick Buzzard,and here is my review...I played it at a warehouse in illinois,and the factory rep was with me to answer questions...Since Hans from Warwick & J.E. were friends,they will never lose the license to make Buzzards...John started with graphite necks because of strength,and Warwick has changed the wood they use for them...They warranty the guitar for life now...I can tell you all that that bass has A LOT to do with his tone,because it sounded like a piano thru a small 1x15 eden combo amp.I was amazed at the clarity and fullness-LIKE NOTHING I HAVE EVER HEARD BEFORE...and I have been playing for 47 years !!!...Sustain for minutes,full bottom,and a hair of natural distortion...not to mention the fact that it seemed louder than other basses...that mirrored p-bass pickup thing works out great...Bottom line ? I am in the process of custom ordering one.LONG LIVE ROCK...

todd burns and scf4003 like this.
  17. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I just watched this video. I never realized how much Les Claypool wants to be John Entwistle.

18. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    James Lomenzo played them in the 'ol Pride & Glory and early BLS days. Sounded epic.

19. Not that my opinion is worth all that much, but I'd probably get an Alembic Spyder if I were in a Who tribute band before either of the Buzzards. Or a Fenderbird, if there's a particular era the tribute band is focusing on.

20. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Thank you for the review.