Anybody playing a Dingwall in a cover/dad/bar band?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by two fingers, Jun 1, 2021.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I continually drawn toward the Dingwall 5 for some reason. I can't get it out of my head. Either a Combustion or NG with 3 pickups and the Darckglass capsule have my attention in a big way.

But, let's be honest. Musically, I know who I am. I'm a bar band player for the foreseeable future. It fits into my lifestyle better than anything else. I embrace it, own it, and really enjoy it.

So, do any of you rock Journey, funk, bar country, pop hits, 80s rock, soul hits, etc. on a Dingwall? If so, does it work well? Is it versatile? Or does it just scream Dingwall no matter what pickup position you're in? Will it even get mellow? Warm? Or is it in your face like 99.9% of all demo videos?

Anybody got a link to a video of someone playing a Dingwall on the bass cover of a hit song? A demo of someone playing a Dingwall that sounds warm one minute and in your face the next?

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I played an Afterburner once and still can't get it out of my head. I'm fairly confident those basses can do anything you want them to.

FWIW, if I were ever to get one I'd go for broke - and not get a Combustion. I was gassing for one of those severely when they first came out, couldn't afford one at the time, and then noticed a few months after their release LOTS of people who bought them were selling them. I'm sure some loved them too, but that scared me off a bit.

If it were anything at all like an AB, I doubt that would have been the case.

Subscribed to see/hear what others have to say. My experience is very limited, but if Dingwall ever puts out an shortscale I'll be all over it.

3. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I think that that IYF tone with a pick actually would fit nice in Journey/Garth/Prince.

Stevie Wonder... maybe?

You’re thinking a bright yellow one?

4. Ethan117

Ethan117 My instrument makes people jiggle. Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2014
    My bar band plays blues with horns and is mostly comprised of dads. I bring a Dingwall NG3 to every show and our sound guy, a fellow bassist, loves it.

I’d say it fits like a glove with the right rig. Throw some light compression in front of a fairly clean vintage drive, gently boost some lows and tame some highs, and play with fingers. Gets the old-school vibe while retaining an impressive level of clarity.

jjk2007, pcake, dutchwife and 4 others like this.
  5. I hope to have a Dingwall one day for studio use, it's on my list of gear I'd love to own but would be afraid to take on a gig.

IIRC I went to college with a guy who had a Dingwall get stolen at a venue after the gig.

two fingers likes this.
  6. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

I just got the Lee Sklar model (arriving tomorrow) and plan on using it all the time.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Seeing the Super PJ5 does not help my Dingwall GAS.

IMG_0255.JPG

8. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I’ll quit playing around and save up for a fiver. I should sell ten basses but that’s a different story. A three pickup would do the trick

wmmj and two fingers like this.
  9. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I just acquired a Dingwall Super P5, and I’m in talks to start up a cover band as soon as current covid lockdowns allow. :)

donahue, Lowendtech, Winton and 4 others like this.
  10. MichaelOz

MichaelOz Commercial User

Sep 10, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Polaris Basses by Dr. Bass
    Used to play mine in a bluesband. Got some attention because it was a 5 string (“never seen a 5 string bass”), not because of multi scale. Oh well … .

11. Ryno1330

Ryno1330 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2020
    I play a Dingwall Z3 in a dad/cover band and at church. I used to use a NG3. Honestly, I think having the FDVs in there vs the FD3s makes all the difference if you want it to be super versatile and not scream that signature Dingwall sound.

soulstew, BurningSkies and CJC6 like this.
  12. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA

13. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    The only ones who care are posting here. Do what you wanna do, etc.

krimo likes this.
  14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    There are several that have my eye.

15. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I wish I had any of the three I now have when I was doing covers and originals. They're super versatile.

If you're doing a cover gig and do some variety, you should absolutely. Even if you weren't doing a wide variety of material I'd recommend one.

jakka1, Waltsdog and two fingers like this.
  16. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I'd recommend something with three pickups, though that's all I have experience with in the newer ones (NG3 and DBird). I have an older Combustion 5 with the rectangle pickups that is also super versatile, but the newer ones with rotary pickup selectors are great.

Any of the three pickup models set to the middle pickup is P bass territory and I think sound even more like a P bass than any P bass I've owned.

soulstew, J_Bass and two fingers like this.
  17. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm assuming you're talking about different stock pickups?

18. You had three????

two fingers likes this.
  19. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I currently have three and wish I had just one when I was gigging a few years ago!

two fingers likes this.
  20. Ryno1330

Ryno1330 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Yep - they describe them on the website but the FDVs use alnico magnets and seem more traditional and less compressed.

CJC6, seedokebass and two fingers like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021