Anybody playing a Dingwall in a cover/dad/bar band?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by two fingers, Jun 1, 2021.

1. PRS-Man23

PRS-Man23 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Boston, MA
    I play my Dingwall Combustion 3X for pretty much every gig we have. We play all the typical rock hits from 60’s to current. I have it setup in standard tuning, and it absolutely slays. I can dial in pretty much any tone, and have got nothing but positive feedback. Dingwall has become the go-to metal bass, especially with a Darkglass rig. Guess what? I also use my Darkglass Microtubes 500 head & a Darkglass 210 cab! I feel like it works phenomenal for the type of music we play. Don’t let the “metal community” stamp fool you, these instruments & amps can do it all!

2. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    Bear Light Symphony, TimepeaceNC Band
    6 weeks and she'll be here. First one!

3. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    Having played an Aqua Sparkle D-bird in a punk bank I'll say absolutely go for it, totally fits the look IMO and they sound great :)

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Congrats! I wouldn't trade fatherhood for anything.

Sheldon D., Lee Moses, J_Bass and 3 others like this.
  5. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    There are always used Canadian models. All of mine are used. Much more cost effective that way.

6. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I have a 3 pickup ABI with the Darkglass Tone Capsule preamp. I can easily get a good P bass, J bass and MM sound from it. Passive mode with the "P", the neck pickup, is pretty good however it is a little on the bright side and there isn't a passive tone knob. The bass is nice on the Tone Capsule, so I like the preamp but only wish there were a passive tone control. With regards to the fanned frets, I have almost no issues switching between the Dingwall and my other fave bass, a 30" 5 string Alien Audio. For me, the only part that starts getting weird is around the 15th fret and up because the dots on the bass side of the fretboard do not line up with the notes on the G string at all. But, I don't play up there very often. What you gain with a Dingwall is a B and E string that rings noticeably stronger than is possible with a 34" instrument. You'll even notice that the tuner seems to lock in more. I use a TurboTuner ST-300 and the strobe wheel is at a dead stop where other basses you get something close to exact tuning.

7. Tim Skinner

Tim Skinner

Nov 6, 2018
    I have a stock (except the pickguard) Combustion 5 and play in a bar band. Haven't been able to gig since I got it 11 months ago, but we have squeezed in a few rehearsals and I love it. It covers our whole repertoire easily, from country to heavier rock and everything in between. I find it to be really responsive, a little change in force of the finger pluck goes a long way. Ditto for tweaking the tone controls.
    The stainless steel strings can sound a bit aggressive when you first put them on but I find it can be controlled through touch and tone settings. To my ears, the aggressiveness dials back quickly as the strings wear in. Can always try the nickel I guess.
    As for everything else, I can honestly say I have never played a bass I prefer. Fit, finish and overall quality are amazing. I love the fanned frets. Holds tuning for ever.
    No one bass is for everyone, but for me my Dingwall has almost totally cleared up my GAS. It's now been replaced by DAS (Dingwall Acquisition Syndrome) as I would love a Super P.

Sheldon D. and two fingers like this.
  8. Blackjac97

Blackjac97 Supporting Member

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    Thing is beautiful. That might have just taken up a slot in my dream bass arsenal.

Sheldon D. and two fingers like this.
  9. Bozendoka

Bozendoka

Mar 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    I've got a v1 Combustion that I play at church and in a hard rock/classic metal band. I play 99% clean and it works for everything. I did replace the guts a few years ago because I can't leave well enough alone, it has Alumitones and an Audere preamp right now which makes it super versatile, but it sounded great stock, too. I'm waiting on a D-Roc standard right now that I'm sure will fit in just fine.

10. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    Lee Sklar plays one, and his tone is opposite of NG (both fantastic players, btw).

11. mattj1stc

mattj1stc Gold Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX USA
    About 10 years ago, I used to use a Dingwall AB-2 5 string in the hobby/dad/bar band I was in. The bass was great and able to fit into every situation musically - it's a very versatile instrument that is easy to play and sounds great.

The trouble (for me) was that the Dingwall looks distinctive, so lots of people will want to touch or play it - lots of them. Also, there was how much the Dingwall costs - I was always worried about something bad happening to it. It's last gig was at a pool party, too close to the pool, in the sun, in 100 degree heat - that was just too much.

I eventually switched to my current one and only, which is a Lakland Skyline. Other than the pickguard, it looks like a regular, boring P bass, so people leave it alone and it's not too expensive. It's not as versatile as the Dingwall, but I can still get to whatever sound I need with a little EQ and drive.

If you really want a Dingwall, you should get one. However, it's kind of like having a really nice car that you're somewhat afraid to drive every day.

Ryno1330, Sheldon D. and two fingers like this.
  12. natbers78

natbers78

Jun 3, 2006
    Ohio
    I've played a Super P and Afterburner in bar/event band situations as well as when I was in the USAF band. I found it worked quite well in all situations. Here are a few examples...if you go about halfway down the page there are some videos in black and white where I'm using my old Super P. We recorded the songs prior to shooting the video, but I was playing my Dingwall on the recordings: Wedding and Event Cover Band Toledo, Ohio Video Playlist — The Red Carpet Crashers- Wedding and Event Cover Band Toledo, Ohio

I also recorded a whole album with the USAF band using my Afterburner. Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere streaming. If you want to search for it, it would be from the USAF Band of the Golden West. The name of the band was Mobility and the album title is "Makin' My Way Back Home".
    Here's a video of this band playing a small show in San Diego where I'm using my Afterburner. Fast forward to 3:15. Sorry, audio quality is not so great.

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Fine. They don't all have to be flash. In fact, the original Combustion design brief was to take what the long scale Dingwalls do but make them a bit more 'centered' when it comes to aesthetics to reach a wider audience. Things like the curve of the neck heel tone it down compared to the edgier Afterburner with exposed maple neck heel & angled heel. So, while now they've upgraded the tops, they still aren't over the top and there are some downright conservative ones out there. For instance, my Combustion is ash with natural finish, and while it came with white pearloid pickguard, dropped a tort guard on, which basically makes it look like most other natural/traditional basses:

IMG_1190.jpg
    ^That's not going to 'shock' anyone in the choir or at the local dive. There's been sunburst, white blonde, black, CAR, etc. over the years...Now there's some more sedate finishes with quilted tops and some other plain options.

Soundwise I think it totally works 'stock' with the EMG preamp that the Combustion comes with it's a pretty straight-shooter modern sounding 3 band. With the 5-way switch that the basses have you've got tonal options. Also while I think the pickups' individual coils are wired by default in series, that can be easily changed to parallel which further can tame the sound.

@RichSnyder, I think we discussed it at the main Dingwall thread, but super easy if you want passive with traditional tone control to drop a stacked volume knob/tone roll off on the NG. The Darkglass sort of comes at the end of the signal chain, so wire it in before the preamp and it would be a pretty simple/quick mod for someone who has some basic skills or most garden-variety-level techs. LowEnd Lobster and I were back and forthing it. Then you'd have an onboard passive tone control for when you're not using the DGTC or even when you are, but want to touch those highs that the high-mid control doesn't hit.

Sheldon D., DrMole, JoshS and 3 others like this.
  14. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    TI flats on an NG3? Now I'm intrigued. Four or five string?

15. Winton

Winton

Nov 21, 2017
    Tokyo, Japan
    Adam Neely plays his Dingwall at a video game music gig with a combo and they play more jazz-ish tunes.

Sheldon D. and DrMole like this.
  16. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I'm unaware of any push/pull concentric knobs, so I'd have to at least install a A/P switch. I just really don't want to drill if I can avoid it. Maybe a different preamp, possibly an external tone knob on the pedalboard.

17. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    Bear Light Symphony, TimepeaceNC Band
    Thanks buddy. Glad to hear that. We're super excited.

DrMole likes this.
  18. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Yep! 5 string NG3

19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Why would it need to be push/pull? Just a stacked knob would get it done, no?

DrMole and BurningSkies like this.
  20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    No need for another switch. Just the concentric. One is volume one is passive tone. When you're using the preamp, just leave it up full (or use it with the active) when you switch to passive, it still functions like a passive tone roll off.

DrMole likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021