Anybody playing a Dingwall in a cover/dad/bar band?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by two fingers, Jun 1, 2021.

1. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    The volume is the push/pull for active / passive.

2. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I was Dingwall curious about 3 years ago and picked up an NG2 in Mopar purple.
    I liked it just fine. Got used to the stretches just fine (except maybe the first 3 frets of the G string)
    I played it one gig, a country gig.
    And it sounded great.
    Like many things I try, I eventually passed it on. Just found my happy place in more traditional basses.
    But would not hesitate recommending one and have many friends that play them.

jjk2007 likes this.
  3. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Cool, I wondered if the B string would be long enough. I am looking at an NG2 and just assumed I'd stick with the stock strings, but TI flats are my favorite strings ever. Any thoughts you can share on the NG/TI combo would be much appreciated.

4. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Jason at FretNation can set you up with the right mix of TI flat lengths for the longscale Dingwalls.

I loved them on my AB 5 and 6 strings. Standard 344 TI jazz flats fit on the Supers.

5. Mildew Jones

Mildew Jones

Dec 18, 2014
    Didn't go thru all pages, this may have been asked in 1 form or another- I think I've only seen 1 Dingwall ever in the hands of a live musician, famous or not (local band bassist rocks several, I think 5'ers). Who is playing all these Dingwalls, and is it mainly in their bedrooms? (and now the onslaught of gig photos commence)
    NO disrespect at all, they look boffo, just curious...
    MJ

AlexanderB likes this.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Ah, I wasn't thinking you had an AB. I'd consider stacking the mids on the DGTC and then using a separate treble knob then. I have a stacked Lowmid/Highmid to free up a knob on my Fretless for other use, leave the push/pull active passive.

DrMole and RichSnyder like this.
  7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Besides this year, I've been doing 100 shows a year on average from Maine/Vermont down to North Carolina and occasional others out and about. These ARE gigging instruments whether you're seeing them out or not.

Sheldon D. and DrMole like this.
  8. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Here's a video of someone using a Dingwall in a similar context to what the OP might be looking for. Hope it helps. And, for what it's worth, the bassist uses both pick and fingers.

Sheldon D. and redstrand like this.
  9. I saw one on stage in a local Granddad band. i wasn't able to look closely and identify the model, because looking at those gives me vertigo.

10. JoshS

JoshS Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Colorado
    You're reading my mind. Basically, the natural ash is kind of what I'd been thinking for a while. @Nephilymbass 's blue / pearloid is really sweet too, but I actually do like the CF guards as well. Previous posts and vids had long convinced me tone was easily worked.

The timing of Two Fingers is curious because just yesterday morning I was staring at this one hoping someone would buy it soon!
    f8cpmzwco8ol9akmiu1g.jpg

That could work in church, right? :D
    Luckily, a pre-existing deposit / order elsewhere will preclude any curiosity curing for now.

And that's sort of where I anticipate landing, but it wouldn't shock me to order one at some point. Probably late night, in the shed, practicing, highly suggestable...just like how I get sucked into youtube ads. :laugh:

11. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Like I said, I am in Europe (Sweden). Finding a used AB here is not happening. Buying without trying is also not happening, especially from another continent.
    Which leaves buying new, and that means Combustion, also not happening (China + wrong sound.)

As for the sound... One of my current main players is a (carefully chosen!!!) 2010 Fender American Standard Jazz, maple fretboard. Some of the snappiest and clearest passive Jazz tones I have heard come from that bass. I have yet to find a five string that sounds like it, and have never heard a Dingwall Combustion or AB sounding anything like that slightly gritty, but clear and big, passive tone.
    The Dingwalls I have heard have a different tonal profile (ADSR), and pickups and preamp, while good, sound much more generic and nondescript, like some soapbar loaded, 1200 USD Ibanez.

Good point from @Mildew Jones about WHO is actually rocking a Dingwall on stage. IME, that is nobody local, regional, or national. Zip, zero, nada.
    And I look at all sorts of bands, from pop, rock, jazz to folk and funk.
    I saw the brand in Bass player magazine in the 90s, and have kept my looking for Swedish artist since then. Never, ever, have I seen one in over 20 years.

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I have one or two that are a bit more showy and then a few that are a bit understated. I generally wouldn't go 'natural' but a friend had it locally and rather than sell it online and deal with it, he offered me 'friend price' deep discount to just buy it from him. Once I converted it to fretless the vibe made more sense.

People should note that Combustion models are Ash bodies and come with EMG preamps, while NG models are alder bodied/maple fretboard with DarkGlass Tone Capsule. NG's are solid finishes while Combustions can be either.

This one isn't so flashy either, but it has some burliness to the vibe:

122097148_3722199351137174_1243679805955785143_o-1.jpg

Shorter scale, 32"-35" fan...

13. Eon Sky

Eon Sky Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    There was also a video floating around the forum a week ago that showed John Taylor playing one live recently with Duran Duran. They are most certainly versatile instruments and while "extreme" looking in some regards, I think they're tastefully so.

14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    These people appear to have a Canadian made ABZ in store in Sweden.

ABZ 3X 5 String Trans Red Burst

Sheldon D. and DrMole like this.
  15. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Thanks! Yeah, I just saw it. One of the best MI shops in Sweden, with an impressive range of guitars, and also selling ie Tom Anderson and Serek. Tested the Combutions there a while back, and might plan for a new trip there now, to sample the ABZ...

BurningSkies likes this.
  16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Generally speaking, in terms of neck feel, the AB won't be too far off from the combustion neck, maybe a MM or two thinner if that. Though they do have compound radius fretboards which DOES make a difference, though I have had both and play both Chinese and Canadian Dingwalls. My other thought is that you might like the fact that this ABZ is passive, but also has parallel/series switches for each pickup. That plus the 5-way rotary should give you a bunch of different tonal options to try. The other thought is that the pickups in this ABZ are FDV's...which are different from the FD's that are in the Combustion models. They're AlNiCo formula magnets and may be a tone you have more interest in.

Sheldon D., AlexanderB and Dynacord like this.
  17. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Wayyyyyy back when Sheldon was starting out, in addition to building his business, he still had time to make the neck for my custom P-style bass that has a square nut and fans forward only. It was my #1 gig bass for years after I semi-retired my Rickenbacker 4002 (yes, "2," not "1" or "3") until I started playing with my current party band in 2012 that requires a 5-string. I still get my fanned fret out occasionally as a particular gig may require.

Link: A Different Custom P-style Bass

Sheldon D. and two fingers like this.
  18. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Categorizing my musical projects as "Cover/Dad/Bar Bands" is probably not wrong but it sure doesn't help me rationalize buying a new bass.

I need to believe that I am an undiscovered virtuoso, the best people have ever played with, and my choice of instrument is akin to Arthur and Excalibur. Nobody else could even pick it up.

DrMole and two fingers like this.
  19. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Super Series.

jakka1, Joe Nerve and BurningSkies like this.
  20. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Some guy in a big bar in T.O. with some Dad’s (and a couple of Grandad‘s) playing some old and new school rock&roll on a DW SPJ4. 78B8FDE5-C509-4F00-9F10-12DEA345D92F.jpeg CA7CAF08-276B-4BE4-B6AB-4476937A564C.jpeg E88FEEDC-9B4C-4BFC-AD40-65EF213C3360.jpeg

Sheldon D., DrMole, J R Knots and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021