Anybody playing a Dingwall in a cover/dad/bar band?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by two fingers, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    You do You! play what you wanna play!I'd gladly Play a Dingwall! who cares if you re playing in a cover band! do you think guitarist think about it? like can I play my"62 strat or my '68les Paul, Hell No! They just play it! I f I had my druthers I d be rocking a Gold or blue burst D-Roc! only time I be reluctant is if y=the band was against it( for some reason)or if it was a sketchy venue! I probably wouldnt want to play it at a back yard gig & the like...

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Picture saved to my Dingwall Oddities file.

If you ever find yourself deciding to move on from it, let me know.

iiipopes likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I don't need any of that kind of rationalization. I have a hair trigger when it comes to nice gear I like. :cool:

StevieMac, DrMole and BurningSkies like this.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Can't find them. Can you post a link?

5. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I see a trip to Malmö Musikaffär in my near future...

BurningSkies likes this.
  6. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I've only ever not taken a Dingwall to a show out of 'safety concerns' once. That was a Parole party I played a number of years ago. I figured if I needed to bludgeon someone, my 73P was probably a better thumper.

DrMole and two fingers like this.
  7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Super P

Super J

Lowendtech and two fingers like this.
  8. JoshS

JoshS Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Colorado
    240_F_26124443_QQVqQWwQGQFqBQg9QACdpktxYQ7xIRkY.jpg

:thumbsup:

9. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Thanks.

Though you may be pointing me toward some serious trouble :) ......

I know they say they scaled it down, but the E string is still 34.25". Isn't that essentially the same as a long scale bass? I'm assuming their standard basses are extended on the E and B string.

AlexanderB and BurningSkies like this.
  10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    They're 32" on the G string then fan in .75" increments down to the E or B. The E Being 34.5" and the low B being 35". I happen to have mine sitting right here with me and is mostly my daily player right now.

Super P's are all passive, though they can have either just the one split pickup or a split & bridge pickup (note that the 'soapbar' Dingwall pickup holds a split coil pickup under the shell as well. Mine has a "P-Tone" bridge pickup so it's as close to a double-P as possible.

Super J's can be active, have the same scale length and can either have a 'regular' pickup in neck position or a split coil.

The reason the P's are all passive is that the body has been thinned down to trim some of the weight and girth of that comes with the slightly large Precision style body. The J's don't have the need and therefore can fit a preamp.

Sheldon D., Joe Nerve and AlexanderB like this.
  11. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Yes, longer than standard Fender, shorter than regular Dingwall E string...
    However, the basses are remarkably compact, and the Combustion feels about as big as a 34" Warwick bass, even though the B string is 3" longer. (But the bridge is FAR to your right...)

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    My Super P is my first of the shorter scale Dingwalls and I wasn't sure I was going to love that shorter scale after having played that 34"-37" for so long.

The fanning DOES make a difference even at 35", and the overall tone profile sits somewhere closer to the traditional 34" bass and a longer one. As someone who played an ol' P for a number of years and Jazz basses before that, the overall tone profile was sort of like coming home to something that was really comfortable and familiar to me. Of course I love what the longer models do as well.

Sheldon D. likes this.
  13. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Well, to me, there is nothing "familiar" and "coming home" about how the Dingwalls sound... (I play P, J, Dano, Gretsch and Mustang.)

Having thougth about it, I would say the Dingwalls tend to sound similar to a modern Epiphone Thunderbird, some model with the clean and open sounding "mini humbuckers".
    Through a clean amp, no effects, and my light-ish touch, they gave a generic, unobtrusive sound of "polished, modern electric bass, non Fender".
    The bassive ABZ might surprise me.

14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I'm talking specifically about the Supers, and in my case the Super-P. That's a big differentiation between the longer scale basses.

15. Sorry to be late to the Party...

As a Grandad, I would tell you these basses can cover a lot ground.

I play regularly ( not as much as before COVID but it’s picking up) with a couple of main groups

One does most Jazz and some standards ... blues etc

The other band does more Clubs , Bars, Breweries etc.. in-this setting we play covers from 50s, 60s 70s 80s etc.. and we have some originals as well.
    Music like Eagles, Beatles, BTO, Doobies, Steely Dan etc...
    I use my Dingwall AfterburnerII for these and am never struggling to find a good tone.

These are fantastic instruments... I am sure you will enjoy.

Sheldon D. and two fingers like this.
  16. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I was referring to the more Dingwall unique models, easier to find, IRL and on youtube.
    Interesting that ergonomics will be in focus so much, that they gave up the preamp in Super P.
    Sheldon has a clear idea about what his brand stands for. I like that.

17. This thread is stoking my perceived need for a Dingwall 5.

Bought a super cheap Ibanez 5 from a brick and mortar shop in Lebanon, NH this summer- spontaneous purchase because I wanted a 5 for recording and wanted to buy from a store that I frequented 30 years ago, also to help them out a bit-

Was planning on a higher level Ibanez, possibly with fanned frets later this year- now, thanks to Enablers Anonymous that is TB- will likely hold out and seek one of these fine Canadian instruments.
    ...not currently in any band.

two fingers and JoshS like this.
  18. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    OK. I'm gonna start bugging you now, only cuz you don't seem to mind :) .

If I were to start seriously considering this (which I am), could you advise me according to the following?

First, the only Dingwall I ever played was an Afterburner II and I LOVED it. I would want something active and as close to the family of that as possible. Second, I messed up my lower back. Any bass over 7.5 lbs these days is a no go for me. If that's an impossibility here, then so be it.

And of course, where can I find prices?

I know all of this can be researched on my own, but I'm at work right now... and if I can get the answers more quickly, well then, hey :) . And thanks in advance.

two fingers likes this.
  19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    The passive Super-P sounds just like it should, which given that I've used active basses for the past few decades says a good thing. It really is inspired by classic Precision design...stripped down to a really simplified ideal. In all honestly, while I have a bridge pickup in mine (a P-Tone, so sort of a double P setup)...It's a bass that I'd happily use just the split P and passive volume knob and not need anything more out of it.

My original AB1 (first Dingwall I bought sight-unseen) was also passive...the AB1 basses through the 2000's were all passive switch/volume/tone basses.

two fingers and Sheldon D. like this.
  20. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I just received this monster yesterday and already have a full summer and fall gig calendar doing corporate/private/wedding gigs where I’ll be playing top 40, pop, rock, Motown, disco, soul, blues, and dance/EDM. Normally I’d just take two of my other Jazz basses to these gigs (main player and a backup), but I’ll be intending for this to be the main player on those gigs. Certainly some overlap when it comes to dad band material in what I’ll be playing, especially on the wedding gigs.

73D4B814-A7C7-4655-B5A7-12FB1DC723F7.jpeg D768CFDC-5FFC-4A39-B5A2-CCA852E9419A.jpeg

StevieMac, jakka1, J_Bass and 5 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021