Anybody playing a Dingwall in a cover/dad/bar band?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by two fingers, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 3, 2001
    We offer the P-tone pickup for that. As long as you have the round-ended pickup shells, you should be able to make this guy happy - unless he listens with his eyes.

Waltsdog, jakka1, J R Knots and 5 others like this.
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    There are some lighter Afterburners out there. The AB2 these days is chambered nd the AB1 while being solid, I'm sure could be done with a lighter weight alder, etc. Most of mine are in the low 8-pounds range, but I don't see that you couldn't engineer one down a bit. I'd keep an eye out for used ones, but also talk to a few dealers.

The AB series (ABZ, AB1, AB2) sounds like where you're headed. The Dingwall FB shows that the ABZ 5 String with 3 pickups has a base of $3,780CAD, and that would be the entry level of the ABs.

You might reach out to a few of the bigger dealers to see if they have anything in stock (at what weight and price) and/or slots in line for a build (would save you time), and go from there. AB's DO come up used, so that's worth watching too. The dealers these days who are sort of on the forefront of my mind are John Fox Bass, Fret Nation, Ish, and BassCentral, I've had interactions with all of them and no negative experiences.

Dealers should have price sheets that are up to date...I don't happen to have a recent one at hand.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Ooops... I should have made clear that I'm only interested in the shorter scale ones. And only in 4 strings. I will look into the dealers and start researching. If I do this, it won't be happening tomorrow. Just ordered a Nordstrand bass that I'm waiting on. A Dingwall is on my bucket list though. I will one day own one. I HAVE TO one day own one :) . Thanks much.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm kinda of wondering if @Sheldon D. has an opening for me in his marketing department. :D

VoodooJazz, Sheldon D., JoshS and 3 others like this.
  5. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 3, 2001
    A Matte finish ABZ is our lightest and warmest sounding bass (gloss is heavier and brighter sounding). I'm not sure we could build one as light as 7.5 lbs but 8 is doable. We're doing tests right now that might help us get closer to 7.5 lbs in the future.

6. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    I really like the pairing. I had never used TIs prior to the set I have now, since I mostly stuck with La Bellas. Now that they've settled in, I can definitively say they'll be staying on. My NG3 is a perfect utility bass now. The TIs can get thumpy, obviously, but with some drive and a little 2k boost, they cut right through for heavier stuff. I think I used the extra-long scale ones and havent had a problem with the strings reaching past the nut or fitting in the tuners. My one gripe is I wish the B string was smaller, just because I would like to have more clarity up the neck but I understand not everyone plays the B string above the 12th fret.

two fingers likes this.
  7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY

Ah, yeah...

Super J starting price is: $4680CAD
    Super P starting price is: $3,980CAD

:) You'll have to spin those Canadian ducats through an exchange rate gizmo to get a US value, but should be pretty close to user-price.

two fingers and Joe Nerve like this.
  8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I see that some sub-8 pounders do occasionally slip out of the shop...John W (John Fox Bass) has a listing for an AB1 that was 7.9lbs, so maybe just confluence of luck, but getting there.

two fingers, DrMole and Joe Nerve like this.
  9. IvanBassist

IvanBassist Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    The Super P and Super J are awesome. You won't regret the purchase :)

Lowendtech, two fingers and Joe Nerve like this.
  10. NDC

NDC

May 10, 2016
    My Dingwall AB1-5 "Vintage White''

Dingwall AB1-5 ''Vintage White'' pic 1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  11. Tim Craig

Tim Craig Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Hmmm. I think if I was considering your question I would ask myself (3) things:

1. Does it really matter if I play my Dingwall (I have one) in a Dad bar/cover band scenario?
    2. Does it really matter if I play any brand/style bass in Dad bar/cover band scenario?
    3. What's the worst outcome if I do?
    4. What's the best outcome if I do?

Once I answered these questions I would make myself a good cup of coffee and find a quiet place whereby I could objectively review my answers and hopefully make a decision not just for my benefit...but for the patrons of the Dad Bar I haven't played at yet. I hope this helps with your dilemma!

BassBuzzRS and two fingers like this.
  12. NDC

NDC

May 10, 2016
    Same photo (rotated) of my AB1-5 ''Vintage White''

Dingwall AB1-5 ''Vintage White'' pic 2.jpg

two fingers, BurningSkies and DrMole like this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    "Appropriateness" was never my concern. Tone, however, very much is. I don't need to force a square peg into a round hole....which is to say I don't need a Dingwall to sound exactly like a P bass. But I do need "warmer" and "rounder" tones (as well as more "modern" and "edgy" tone) in the context of the cover songs we play. Yeah I rock a hot pink 80s parts bass one minute, a Daphne blue P bass, a CAR P bass, a blacked out Hammersmith 5, and a crazy looking pin striped LeCompt, a swirly pirate jazz, a blacked out fretless G&L and several others all in the same band. But they all get in the versatile tonal ranges I need to cover.
    20210327_153206.jpg 20210327_153123.jpg 20201023_130955.jpg 20200929_082630.jpg 20200929_082733.jpg

mmon77, J R Knots and Sheldon D. like this.
  14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I haven't posted much so as not to feel like I'm clogging up the works, but see if these give you what you're looking for:

Plenty more examples as well as needed.

15. Hi Sheldon, mines the older version square pups and I like just the way she is. The BL is a picky character and wants that particular sound for a couple of songs. I’ve suggested he buys the bass!

Sheldon D., Waltsdog and two fingers like this.
  16. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Must say I really liked the first song a lot! Tasteful, balanced, tight and "together" band, great vocals, and with a nice twist at the end (solo!).
    This genre is very popular in Sweden, with many bands doing a hybrid of soul/pop/singer-songwriter with a hint of jazz.

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Thank you. While we're generally billed as high energy reggae-soul, we have bits and pieces from Jazz & blues to punk & metal and psych. depending on the song. Not many 'reggae' bands doing stuff in 3/4 or 6/8, etc.

18. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Always dig your stuff Mr Skies. So tasteful.

19. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

I will be soon, just got this one today:

20210602_135523.jpg

NaH, mmon77, JoshS and 3 others like this.
  20. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I'm having my first-ever Dingwall delivered to me tomorrow - a Superjazz 5.

I've never been a Dingwall kinda guy, but the Superjazz is slightly more traditional and I keep reading about the insane high quality of these instruments, so I decided to take a shot at it. And how could I resist this?

pds1m2av3vqrs0edsvic.jpg

Hopefully it will suit my needs, if not, there's no shortage of demand for them.

They seem to be big in the metal community, but these things sound great in any setting really. This guy is killing it on some funky, Tower of Power style R&B here:

Whatever your age or style, if it excites or intrigues you, give it a shot. Otherwise you'll always wonder...

mmon77, Lowendtech, J R Knots and 8 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021