Anybody playing a Dingwall in a cover/dad/bar band?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by two fingers, Jun 1, 2021.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I don't know what I like more, dude's playing or how much fun he's having.

2. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Please post all you like.

J R Knots likes this.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    -First Root Shock album here. Dingwall Z1 with Jule Amp's Monique:

-Followup EP here: Dingwall Z1 w/Monique again, except for Ripple which has Kern IP-777 preamp (same recording as video)

-The Waves single (above previously linked video) is Dingwall NG3 with Monique.

-Ripple, Live (NG3-Monique):

-Rebel March, Live (NG3-Monique)

-Time-Breathe-Great Gig in the Sky, Live (Halloween surprise mini-set)

And for something different;
    'acoustic live' a sold-out one-off, Fretless Combustion (audio multitrack, 2 sets):
    03-16-19 Nelson Odeon in Cazenovia - Google Drive

Sage live in Ithaca NY:

D Bowden, B.C., two fingers and 4 others like this.
  4. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Congratulations on the new bass!

As for the youtube clip; great playing, but I hope this is not an example of something Fender like, tone wise? To me, this is an example of generic and un-involving bass tone, compressed and with little of modulation and resonance. Got the same feeling when I tried the Combustion and NG model. Could have been virtually anything solidbody, with soap bars or mini humbuckers. And I can hear how it will not have enough transient and attack to really carry the bottom end of the band, just like some neck through, coffee table basses. Been there, done that. Not impressed. And I might be wrong.

For sparse, smooth music, probably fine. Or with loads of OD, and played with a pick, sure thing for metal.

But I will give the ABZ in Malmö a shot, hoping to get surprised.

two fingers likes this.
  5. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    From a sound perspective it seems like you could play any style on a dingwall, and do it well. I had a combustion 5 and it's pretty much all they say it is.

One thing to note: I do a good bit of singing. Playing the bass and getting used to the fan and scale length was not that bad. But singing and playing it at the same time was going to take more effort than I felt like putting in. That's more of a knock on me than the bass but if you're a singing player it's something to consider.

two fingers and BurningSkies like this.
  6. As soon as a Dingwall shows up, its not a bar band any longer.

7. kevindahl

kevindahl

Aug 21, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    How much is the tone from the model vs. pup and preamp selection? It seems like all models can cover a lot of ground with the right electronics. BTW, I am old school for this. I having been playing EMG PJ setup for 30 years. Everything is wide open on my bass. I make most adjustments on my pedal board.

Ryno1330 likes this.
  8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I'm not going to say much about transient response because I don't necessarily find it different from other basses. I will say what you do gain is a certain presence and clarity that at least allows me to push lows without losing intelligibility in a live mix, something that audio engineers often comment. The longer strings mean more present harmonics on lower notes so that it DOES work well in a mix. My original AB1 (alder/maple/wenge) had more punch than I'd been getting from my P-Bass or previous Jazz basses.

9. jakka1

jakka1 Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Kansas
    I’m in a 6 piece band (3 piece horn section) that does a hybrid mix of ska/funk/rock/punk/reggae you name it. I’m all in on Dingwall Supers and have no desire to play anything else since I switched about 2 1/2 years ago. There are no limits with these basses.

10. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Just FYI... the Super J and Super P are considered "Medium scale".

Ranging from 35" (low B) to 32" (on the G string).

That's the primary reason I picked that model, to see if it would give me a great tone while also helping alleviate some tendonitis issues I have in my wrist.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  11. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Want on that. Wow.

12. jakka1

jakka1 Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Kansas
    To get in below 8 lbs on a 4 string Super series is possible. I recently requested this on a Super P and they suggested light weight swamp ash and maple for the neck. The bass ended up at 7.7 lbs. This was a PJ, so if I had requested just a P pickup version it would have been even lighter.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  13. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I am being severely tempted by an NG2 at my local shop. I have always loved the look of Dingwall basses, but never owned a fanned fret bass or a five string, and this one is both. I'm sure I can adjust to the fanned frets, it felt weird messing around in the higher register but I don't play up there much anyway. I'm just not sure about making the leap to a five-string, since I've always played fours and own several great ones that aren't going anywhere. I'm seriously torn at the moment.

14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    My first 5 was also my first fanned fret instrument. I got my AB1 on a Thursday evening...and played it out on Saturday. The 5th string was the big adjustment; getting used to the fact that the anchor string was no longer E but is B. A week later it was sorted.

J R Knots, Lowendtech and muggsy like this.
  15. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Thanks, that’s helpful. I don’t expect to get comfortable with it for a few weeks - Thursday to Saturday is amazing. I do feel like I’m motivated to do the work though. If I make the move on Saturday I’ll post a pic.

BurningSkies and two fingers like this.
  16. BigLouCominThru

BigLouCominThru

Jun 3, 2021
    USA
    I play a combustion 5 w/ the three pickups in a bar band, we do 80s metal (Van Halen, Rush, Dio, GnR, Judas, etc...) and it sounds great.
    You might find the sound of the neck/bridge in parallel as the sound for you then. The combustion has the EMG pre amp vs the NG which has the darkglass pre amp. For 80s stuff the EMG pre amp might be your way to go as the darkglass pre amp is more modern sounding.
    Im running it through a DG AO900, B7KU, and T21 BDDI. Surely the Dingwall will sound great through whatever gear you run it through.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  17. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Thanks for that tip. I like the idea of a Dingwall 5, but was unsure about this.

18. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    As promised. So nice to have a high end bass store (and Dingwall dealer) less than 10 minutes from my house. I went in last weekend to see if Jong had an NG to check out, and he had three. Jive Sound is awesome.

IMG_5370.jpeg IMG_5369.jpeg

D Bowden, Hyball27, J R Knots and 6 others like this.
  19. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Dig that color!

20. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Me too!

muggsy likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021