Anybody playing a Dingwall in a cover/dad/bar band?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by two fingers, Jun 1, 2021.

1. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Yeah, Jong is great. I've bought Dingwall related stuff through him and we're friends on Facebook too. Good person. A bit of Dingwall trivia: Jive Sound was the exclusive dealer for the Dingwall Afterburner 1.5 back in the day...a AB1 that was active and had an upgraded quilted top rather than the flamed maple.

muggsy likes this.
  2. VoodooJazz

VoodooJazz

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern California
    <your name here>
    OT: @BurningSkies , I’ve read your posts for years, but I’d never heard your band before this week. I like it a lot! Kudos to the whole band. Come out to San Francisco and play Hardly Strictly Bluegrass some October! :)

BurningSkies likes this.
  3. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY

Thank you!

4. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I need to give Jive Sound another try. It’s a bit of a drive and the last time I was there he was kinda rude. People have bad days, understood.

5. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    He’s a good guy and his shop is great. I have a Guitar Center within walking distance of my house and Jive Sound is maybe four miles away. Can’t remember the last time I stopped at GC. Jong has at least 15-20 sweet basses hanging on the wall (including multiple Dingwalls, Laklands and Roscoes, plus Sadowsky, Zon, Lull and others) as well as amps, pedals, strings, etc. He’s also great for setups and repairs. I hadn’t been there in a couple years before stopping in last weekend, and I was reminded how nice it is to have him right up the street. I was happy to be able to give him some business.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  6. B.C.

B.C.

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Holy crap this is absolutely amazing. Your tone sounds huge and the band is so good! Thank you for sharing!

J R Knots and BurningSkies like this.
  7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Thank you. :)

J R Knots likes this.
  8. quam

quam

Oct 17, 2011
    Washington, DC
    It’s not a Dingwall conversation without Jong and Jive Sound. I bought by ABII from him close to 10 years ago and it’s been my main bass since. I’ve done hundreds of cover and bar gigs with it. Yes it’s expensive, but it sounds amazing and is comfortable to play for for 3 hours in a night.

9. LL-Toolbox

LL-Toolbox

Jul 24, 2017

Great looking bass.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  10. Thank you

11. ChazFilter

ChazFilter Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Cincinnati
    Does this answer the question? :D
    Chaz_at_Froggys_20210717.jpg
    I play traditional basses with my jam and pop/rock bands (Fender Elite P, EBMM Stingray, Lakland 55-94). However, my main band plays lots of 80s hair metal and even more 90s heavy rock. Darkglass VMT + Dingwall NG2-5 tuned down sounds awesome for all of the low Db drone notes I strike each night...think Velvet Revolver's "Slither." However, the NG has a great punchy tone through a Mesa for the required dance songs as well.

J R Knots and two fingers like this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021