anybody plays jazz in d standard tuning?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JazzmetalFan, Apr 30, 2012.

1. JazzmetalFan

JazzmetalFan

Apr 30, 2012
    Hi, TBers!
    I play in a symphometal-like band on my Ibanez sdgr SR600, also learning to play jazz. i enjoy the low sound and feeling of loosy strings.
    Do you know if someone plays jazz in D standard, maybe you can recomend some jazz records to listen to with low bass tuning?

2. Bustabo23

Bustabo23

May 6, 2012
    you have to switch to standard tunning to play jazz, some classical pieces are written in dropped D, mostly bach stuff, but i dont know any jazz with that tunning, becouse its nonsense, if you want a lower register you buy a 5 or 6 string and thats it, dont neeed to detune the bass and break scale and arpeggio patterns.

3. TimXSweeney

TimXSweeney

Nov 7, 2007
    Boston
    Bustabo, it's a hard sell to use black and white terminology in music. To the OP if you like drop D then use drop D. Bustabo is right that there is little president for it in jazz but jazz is a sound it's not about setup or gear. Practice your arpeggio shapes utilizing drop D and learn some jazz standards. Use your ears and have fun blazing your own trail!
    Tim

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Precedent

5. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    He's asking about D standard, not drop D so it doesn't change any patterns, detuning is much easier and cheaper than buying another bass.

6. TimXSweeney

TimXSweeney

Nov 7, 2007
    Boston
    Gotta hate auto-correct. Thanks Ed. And agreed that detuning everything a whole step would change nothing except adding a low Eb and D. Go for it OP you have the Talkbass blessing. Lol
    Tim

7. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Southeast Penna
  8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The thing that's kind of being missed here is - jazz isn't like rock or classical music. It doesn't matter if somebody uses a different tuning or a different instrument or twenty strings or one string or NO strings and instead a reed or length of metal tubing; you have YOUR instrument in your hands, tuned the way YOU have tuned it. Now play.
    What you DO need is the ability to hear with clarity - understanding what you're hearing and how it functions - have some sort of personal response to what you're hearing - your line, your personal "melody" - and the wherewithal to get that out into the air without your instrument being an impediment - no "hunt & peck", no working stuff out before hand.
    At its most basic, playing jazz is just communicating in the moment your melodic reponse to a given melodic and loose harmonic framework.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  9. JazzmetalFan

JazzmetalFan

Apr 30, 2012
    thanks a lot everybody! :bassist:

10. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses
    Andrew Gouche detunes his bass a whole step down and seems to be doing just fine. I know he more of a gospel player, but it think it`s close enough :)

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021