Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody remember putting something called "Locker Room" up your nose back in the 70's

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dryheatbob, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Here's the long story short:

My partner at work and I were talking about a patient, whose name is Benny. She looks at me and says,"Hey, wasn't 'benny' the name of a drug you'd put up your nose back in the 70's?"

Being a child of the late 70's I filled her in on what bennies were, and that she might be confusing bennies with something we called Locker Room.

From what I remember this stuff came in a small brown bottle and for a short time could be bought legally, though it wasn't intended to be snorted. I think it was a liquid.

Any one remember this stuff, and what it was?

Bob

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I know exactly what you're talking about. I think some people called it poppers. Liquid in a small brown bottle. It just gave me a head ache and made me a little dizzy. Not sure what the liquid/chemical is though.

3. This won't help you one iota, but I always thought it was amusing to stick my dog tag chain up my nose and made it come out my mouth.

4. Sounds like the same stuff. For some reason I want to say it was formaldyhyde(sp?) or something along those lines.

Of all the things I did to myself back then, this wasn't one of them. The cost/type of buzz/length of buzz ratio was important to me as a young and broke teen. This stuff didn't make the cut.

Bob

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    "Bennies" is a slang term for benzedrine (amphetamine) pills.

The only thing I ever stuck up my nose was my finger.

brad cook

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Poppers

Poppers are small bottles filled with liquid chemicals called alkyl nitrites. They were used at the turn of the century for people suffering from chest pains. Nitrites like Amyl Nitrite dilate the blood vessels and allow more blood to get to the heart.

They're usually sniffed straight from the bottle and deliver a short, sharp high. Poppers are sold in sex shops, clubs and gay bars.

ID: Amyl nitrite, butyl nitrite, isobutyl nitrite, Ram, Thrust, Rock Hard, Kix, TNT, Liquid Gold

7. Is it a safe assumption you aren't/weren't sober when you do/did this? Cuzz if you were buzzed, it fits nicer with the context of the thread. ;)

And it did help me, alot! I now know that:

1) You are capable of odd and unusual behavior. I'm inviting you to my next BBQ.

2) If I ever need to borrow a necklace from you, Ima gonna wash it first.

Bob

edit: I just read Brad's post. He is also capable of odd and unusual behavior, but I'm not inviting him to my BBQ unless he washes hands first, and agrees to stay away from the finger foods.

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I'm a little too young, but I remember something about Mandy's - Mandrax basically. Syd Barrett was a big fan of this stuff (among other things). I think Robert Plant at one Zep shows says - Is there anybody here not on mandrax? While we're on the topic of 70's drugs...Any of you guys recall "disco biscuits"? Was it old school MDMA? There's a band with that name now.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    baba got the answer right. These chemicals used to be very popular in the gay community (for reasons I will not go into here). They are carcinogenic, and have been often supposed to be either a major cause or the real cause behind the Kaposi's Sarcoma outbreak in the early 80s. I don't think that they were ever specifically identified as the culprit, though they are a known carcinogen, and they are known to adversely affect the immune system.

This drug family has been gaining popularity again in recent years; we'll see if Kaposi's makes a resurgence.

A google search yields lots of information on this group of chemicals. Strangely enough the disclaimor for one of the male sexual drugs specifically says "do not take if you are on nitrates for chest pains". I don't think nitrates have been prescribed for chest pains in 40 years, though I could be wrong. I think this disclaimor is specifically aimed at poppers users.

10. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    There were actally 2 forms of the stuff you are talking about. AMYL NITRATE are the "poppers" and BUTYL NITRATE was Locker Room (marketed as a room deodorizer).

Amyl nitrate is chemically related to nitroglycerin and has been used for many years to treat angina pectoris. It is also effective in the emergency management of cyanide poisoning by causing the oxidation of hemoglobin to the compound methemoglobin. Methemoglogbin reacts with the cyanide ion to form cyanomethemoglogin, which has less affinity for oxygen, thus freeing hemoglogin to react with oxygen. Hemoglobin is what delivers oxygen, there is some that is diffused in plasma, the bulk of cellular oxygen delivery is done by the hemoglobin. Anyway, you get the idea.

Mike

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No, Mike. No we don't.

brad cook

12. Yeah, what good is catching a buzz if you have to poison yourself with cyanide first? ;)

13. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    What don't you get?

Mike

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yeah, I remember Locker Room.

I dated a girl for a while who was big into it; I tried it once and it scared the sh*t out of me. It had a strong smell and if you went into a disco you could gets whiffs of it coming off the dance floor...

Butyl nitrate was legal only because it wasn't amyl nitrate although it had a similar effect. It wasn't legal in all 50 states, but easily obtained in NYC so easy enough to get for Southern CT residents like I was at the time.

Is it still legal anywhere?

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I used to work with a guy who has endless stories of his crazy "friend" who did "poppers".

16. Man, try to find a picture of the doctor from the Cannonball Run smelling his finger...
    [​IMG]

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Any word in your explanation with more than 7 letters.

Mostly I was just teasing though.

brad cook

18. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Oh I see, the skinny of it is that this stuff effects oxygen delivery to the brain, causes blood pressure to drop quickly and decreases sphinchter tone.

Mike

19. Now you're just pushing it, Mister Sphygmomenometer...

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow, Mike, great clinical explanation of why it's so popular in the gay community. Amyl Nitrates and Butyl nitrates have the same effects and are basically the same thing, the slight difference in formula was used to skirt some of the laws in some states.

Google presents lots of interesting reading about these substances, which are still widely in use and sold under different names for different "uses" to skirt illegality. Don't try using "Zee Best Leather Cleaner" on your leather products for example unless you want to destroy them.