Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody remember Tiran Porter?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lneal, Apr 18, 2002.

1. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Tiran Porter played with the Doobie Brothers back in the 70's and is, IMO one of the most under appreciated bassists of all time. He was melodic, tasteful and held down the groove at the same time. He was a major inspiration for me, and surely somebody shares my sentiments on this! So Tiran fans--let me hear from ya!

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Everytime Porter's name comes up(& evry so often, it does)-
    I always cite "Another Park, Another Sunday" as a personal favourite.
    ...same for "Rio", "8th Avenue Shuffle", "Natural Thing", etc.

3. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    i loved tiran porter on that doobies album with "listen to the music." i caught that album right as i was really beginning to understand bass guitar ... his work on that record was really inspirational to me at the time.

good call on Tiran, man ... i think i'm gonna get that CD happening again ... (i only have a vinyl copy) ...

:cool:

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    When I first started out I was just a pick player, and would search out good pick players....Tiran was a funky pick player with great lines...definitly a early influnce on me......and that payed off when Pat Simmonds did some benefit shows with Gail Swanson and I got to play some Doobie songs with him.

5. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    That must have been cool, playing with Pat! I've never really been a pick player, but it doesn't matter what you use when you do what Tiran did! I just really dig him and thought he was worth some discussion.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    When I first started playing, in addition to being in flat out awe of the guy on the Motown cuts ;)(late 60's, early 70's), etc., Tiran was a big influence. My first band used to wear "Long Train Running" and "Listen to the Music" out... real crowd-pleasers.

I never played with a pick though.

7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    "South City Midnight Lady"- great melodic lines. Tiran was one of my first influences.

8. lohz

lohz

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Okay, I'm a Tiran fan for many years and am really pleased there are those out there that appreciate his musicianship on bass. (he also plays guitar and Tom Johnston credits him for the guitar solo in "Another Park, Another Sunday" on the Wolftrap DVD)

Some of his (more obscure) bass lines I really enjoy:
    Ukiah - (nice driving root/fifth with a bounce)
    Cottonmouth
    Losin' End
    Rio (awesome work)
    Daughters of the Sea
    One by One

9. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
  10. I think Taking it to the Streets is one of the most tastiest bass lines ever written! Tiran is truly underrated in my book. Bass Player did a write up about him last year but I do not remember the issue.

11. Space-Man

Space-Man

Jan 27, 2009
    I mostly try to keep it a secret, but yeah I'm a Doobies fan. And Tiran Porter was a big influence on me.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow - zombie thread resurrection.

I agree Tiran Porter is great, disagree that he is in any way "under appreciated". We tend to love him here.

13. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Best ever at playing around the root and even avoiding it whilst still holding the groove. :D

14. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Here he is:
    [​IMG]
    Big fan of him and the pre-McDonald Doobies.

15. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
    Tiran was on an recent episode of "Makin Music", which is on the local cable channel for Campbell/San Jose. He talked about the White Album Ensemble in some detail. He has seen a lot of changes in the music business.

16. Space-Man

Space-Man

Jan 27, 2009
    Yeah, Micheal McDonald did sorta' take the Doobs down to that "Soft Rock" garbage. But hey to each his own, and this isn't a McDonald bashing thread.

17. Godfather

Godfather

Feb 4, 2001
    Anybody remember Tiran Porter?

I had to repeat the question , as it struck me as funny....

IMHO, he is one of the greats.....
    Totally unique !!!:hyper::hyper::hyper:

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    In defense of Micheal McDonald, I thought he added another five years to their initial run of hits with the more R&Bish songs he brought to the band, but then again, I'm a big fan.:bag:
    Check out out the playing of Willie Weeks and Louis Johnson on his debut album sometime. Sorry for the derail.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I was a huge fan of the early Doobies. That said, I was definitely pro-McDonald when he came onboard. At the time, I was into the 'jazzy'/R&B thing he brought into the band. Now...hmmmm. I would agree with Jerry, though, about the extra 5 years.

On a tangent, I was totally into David Foster when he started producing Al Jarreau, The Tubes, Chicago, EW&F, AWB...now I see it 180 degrees out. Too much of his "slickness" pretty much took the edge outta those bands.

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I would add "Natural Thing" from the same album (The Captain & Me)
    ...and add "Wheels Of Fortune" & "8th Avenue Shuffle" from the same album (Takin' It To The Streets)