Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody replace the pup in a Fender Sting RI ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Funkster, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hi all I played a gig on Sat and I used my Sting RI for the first time live. Everything was going great untill the last few songs when the pickup fell apart right under my thumb.
    I think I want to put in a SD Basslines 1/4 pounder single coil to replace it.
    SD makes three, a direct vintage replacement a hot stacked and the 1/4 pounder.
    Anybody replace there pup in the Sting reissue yet and had good results, all your info is appreciated.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    But, Dude has. I know he's customized a couple of Fender Sting basses, and it included dropping in a new pickup.

If you go over to the Fender Forum at www.thedudepit.com I'm sure you'll get some good info.

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Thanks bassmonkeee!

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I'd be interested in hearing the details of this spontaneous destruction.

I have a Sting and the pickup has always looked very vulnerable to me, with the hairlike coil wire leads right out there in the open, but I've never heard of one failing, much less falling apart.

5. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I tried out all 3 Duncans in my Sting (I found them pretty cheap on ebay) and settled on the QP as best for me. The Hot isn't a stack, so all 3 of them are single coils. Duncan will make a stack, but they're $160! The QP sounded best to me, the Hot came a close second, the vintage was a little better than the stock Fender. If I played gigs I might end up using the Hot model, it sounded better than the QP at high volume. Just my opinion...
    Brad

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Well Bongo I was anchoring my thumb on the pup and the first thing I noticed was the pup felt loose half way through the set, With three songs to go my thumb slipped down to the E string and I had no more output I looked down and the two end pole pieces and pup cover/windings were stuck to the strings. The two middle polepieces were still connected to the pup base.
    I changed basses put the Sting away until I got home. Upon further inspection I seen the windings broke and the pup was junk. Here I stand!

Thanks bdgotoh that's what I was looking for.
    I was going to go with the Qpounder because I have one in one of my Pbasses and I really dig the tone.
    Another quik question is does the Qpounder have a real pup cover? and not the crappy Blk string winding? Something a little more durable than the stock Fender pup?
    I would hate to have to add a thumbrest because the pup can't take it, I have never had a problem in 26 years of playing J's or P's with the pup coming apart in my hands. Thanks guy's for your help.

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I was thinking about this more today, and I remember when I was looking for a '51RI, I heard of someone having this problem - it had slipped my mind when I wrote the above message because we were discussing the Sting.

The point is that at least some of the MIJ '51RIs supposedly had the US Duncan-made SCPB pickup in them - so, what I'm getting at here is that you may have the same problem with the Duncan if this is true. Something to check out, anyway. There is a lot of debate about the components of the various MIJ '51RIs, export v. domestic-market and soforth, so I can't say about this for sure.

I find it odd that they wouldn't wind new ones on a molded, one-piece spool to prevent such failures; they certainly look enough other minor liberties with the original '54 design.

8. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Besides the spontaneous combustion of the pickup, how do you guys like the Sting? It looks interesting and was wondering what the tone was like.

9. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA

I might have to find a chrome reissue pup cover to have something else to anchor my thumb on!
    I have heard this also that the Duncans are wound just like the Fenders with that cloth wrapping.

Otherwise Monkey I love the tone and the neck on my Sting, It looks nice also. Lot's of mids and lows, Mine sounds great fingerstyle but really rips when I play it with a pick.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Do a search on my name in the Bass forum and you'll find a pretty long post about how I feel about mine, with a lot of specifics.

Here's another thread on a different site about how users feel about the bass.

11. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Thanks, Funkster and Bongolation. Just what I need.... to be lusting after another bass...... I'm such a slut...:(