1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody rocking the DOD 201 and 250 Phasor and Overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MGR, Apr 20, 2015.

1. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Very curious about these two pedals for bass. I never heard of the 201 Phasor until today and the bass vids are pretty lacking online. Anybody playing one? If so, why did you choose it over another phaser? I was going to go for a Phase 90 or 100, but I think the 201 colors the sound a little less and retains the original tone more so I wanted to see if this observation is playing out in the real world.

Sort of the same for the 250. Anybody using it as an overdrive/boost? If so, how's it working out?

Thanks in advance!

2. I'm curious about the 250 too (bump)

3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I have the handwired Analogman version of the 250 with an added Mojo chip to bring it exact grey box spec, an added toggle to go between silicon / none / germanium clipping to create an all in one Grey Box/ MXR micro amp / Mxr script distortion +

And I love it. Great overdrive. I love how versatile mine is but I would take any one of the settings and be able to use it just fine. The silicon / grey box is much louder and more aggressive than the other options.

Might be a little more expensive than the stock DOD 250 reissues, but worth every penny to me.

4. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007
    I have the DOD 201 reissue, FX20 Phasor and Phase 100. I have a BYOC 250,a Chicago Stompworks Gray Speck, and the VFE Distortion3.

One of the better combos of phaser/250 that I used was the 201 reissue and the Gray Speck, btw the Grey Speck is a clone of the early/70's DOD 250. Simple and cheap combo that sounded pretty good in the mix.

I like the FX20's overall phase sound alot, really chewy and funky but I dont like the bypass on it unfortunately.
    The Phase 100 I like best with a fuzz pedal.

The VFE is a 3 in 1 type pedal.. Has a switch for a 250, Micro Amp, and MXR Distortion+.. I really like the 250 side and has the most gain out of the three I have.

Mosfed likes this.
  5. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    image.
    image.

XXL likes this.
  6. XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    Id really like to see how the VFE compares to the Analogman. I know that we both agree that the microamp sounds barbershopish and I found that to be pretty cool.

One setting Im really liking with the V3 is the 250 with the 741 chip on asymmetrical clipping with the gain up!

7. shinybeast

shinybeast

Apr 1, 2014
    I've actually been curious for a long time about the Grey Speck. How is the bass retention at medium gain?

8. XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    The Grey Speck is not bassy or adding lows but its not that bad either. With the gain at noon I find if I bump the volume a bit to 1 or 2 the bass is present and good enough for me but if I turn up the gain and dig in Im getting more grind and clank tone and less lows than say a low mids heavy tone. IMO for 40-50 bucks its worth a shot.

shinybeast likes this.
  9. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    My next pedal will be either the Analogman 250 or the VFE D3. You guys are making it hard to choose. I like grind and clank but I also like the other clipping options. How bout you guys make some demos and battle it out! :)

10. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I'm done making demos for a bit. They are really hard.

11. danis

danis

Jun 7, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    I have the latest yellow DOD 250 reissue and I truly love it.
    I use it mostly as an overdrive and as a full on distortion but it can also do a boost well.
    It can do it all for my needs...even I am thinking to take a second one.
    Great pedal! :bassist:

12. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I tried out both of these DOD pedals a couple of months ago at a music shop. The 201 Phasor was too subtle for me. I was looking for a stronger phase effect and more color so I went with an EHX Small Stone Nano. But if you're looking for a phaser that colors the sound less and retains the original tone, the DOD may be to you liking.

I found the 250 cut too much low end for my tastes so I passed on it. It you want a brighter sounding OD with more treble and clank, it might suit your needs.

I'm waiting for the DOD Boneshaker to come out. I'm really intrigued by it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    gregmon79 likes this.
  13. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    I have heard a few people say it cuts lows. Also heard a bunch more say it doesn't. I only played one briefly in a store but there was no low end loss that I noticed. It sounded really great to me and I will be getting an Analogman modded 250 very soon.

14. danis

danis

Jun 7, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Ime the low cut happens after 2 o'clock on the gain and especially after 3+ till full gain but I like this cause there are times that I need a more aggressive sound with less low end...

gregmon79 likes this.
  15. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I think the low end retention on both the 250 and Grey Speck are great. The grey is a little rougher around the edges driver wise, its harsher. The DOD is fuller and much warmer. And darker. The Grey is brighter with more of an edge IMO. I think the 250 is a tad better with low end at medium gain. But the grey is so slouch either.

shinybeast likes this.
  16. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    You should give the grey speck a shot then. Its brighter. And IMO, as long as you keep the gain at a resonable spot, the low end is good.

The thing with both these pedals and low end is, the more you crank gain, the more low end you lose. I dont particularly dig either one at higher gains, especially the grey, so I keep them pretty low. Just high enough to where you start getting some hair up to OD. Bottom is good anywhere in there for me. In fact, the 250 usually adds lows.

17. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    OP here. I ended up buying a 250 that I found cheap used. As a clean or slightly dirty boost, I absolutely love it. I find that the pedal does not color the tone in such a way where you lose anything, but rather I find the pedal focuses the sound a little, and adds overall clarity. I am using it as an "always on" clean boost with a slight edge. The gain knob isn't even at 9 o clock. It lives anywhere from full down to 9 o clock. I do like the sound dimed, but my Static Fuzz is my main distortion. I actually got the 250 strictly as a clean boost.

18. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    Dod had great, unique pedals back in the old days. Now it's just the basics. The envelope filter is very good, though.

19. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I have a DOD250. It has very minimal low end drop out, but my amps (Trace Elliot or Hartke) can more than make up for that. Too many bass overdrives sound more like fuzz. The 250 adds just enough rough edge. These days, I only really use it for the bass solo on Zappa's "Apostrophe"--with the drive up about 3/4, it nails the sound perfectly.