1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody running a CMD/NewYorker stack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbass2, Apr 15, 2009.

1. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Curious how that's working out for you if so---a Markbass Mini CMD 121P, and the new New Yorker cab underneath . . .
    The age old question being of course, "how loud is it?":)

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    The New York 121, or the 604?

3. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Ah yes--I mean the 121, for a little tidy 2x12" stack.
    I have a Mini CMD 121P, and 90% of the time, it's all I need.
    But I also got Dr. Bass 1x15 to use as an ext if I feel I need it. I've only used it a few times---works quite well, sounds quite good, but they don't sit together well physically(the Markbass has scooted around on top of the DB at louder volumes--so, not solid), and frankly, it look hodge-podge. I'm thinking, sell the Dr. Bass, get the New Yorker 121P and probably still have plenty of power for when I'm worried the Mini on it's own won't be enough. Basically going to 2x12"s rather than a 12" and a 15". And, aesthetically they will stack up nice and look cool too:)

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I used the CMD 121P with a UL112 and found it quite good sounding. However, what sounds even better is two UL112s. I found that stack to be much fuller sounding in comparison... the CMD 121P achieves its volume by being lowmid heavy IME.

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Good plan. Matching cabs usually sound more 'focused'.

An Ampeg-ish sounding, light-weight & scalable 2X12" rig which can deliver real POUND per pound would be most interesting--especially with the option of dressing it for rock 'n' roll with either a VT Bass, or Markbass' new tube distortion pedal. :bassist:

6. h60

h60

Nov 30, 2007
    KMOB
    I'm very interested in this too. I'm really digging the mini CMD 121P, and would love to here reports on anyone using the ny 121 extension cab.

No joke the VT bass pedal sounds great with this amp. easy on the VLE though... the VT pedal has speaker emulation buit in.

7. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    the 604 is the only bass cab i ever turned the bass down on the amp with.

Had to be around 10 o'clock.