Anybody running Whappo stacks?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Black 'n Tan, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Who here is playing more than one Accugroove cabinet at a time?

I'm curious what the combinations are ... El Whappo and 210?

How did the tone / impact change when adding the second cabinet?
  2. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    There's a great thread.. er.. great threadS on Accu stuff.. um, I'm feeling a bit lazy, but if you do a search for accugroove, there is one called 'joining the accugroove club' or something.. and various others with pics and stuff. Jean Baudin has a massive Accu' rig. his pics are there too.

happy hunting
  3. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I have a lot of luck combining the smaller tri cabs, like a 110 and a 112, or a 210 and a 112, that is a sweet combo. I own a whappo and I find that I rarely need anything else to compliment the sound, it's just so well balanced to begin with. if I needed more volume (which I can't really imagine), I would just get another whappo. I used to have the discontinued gordo sub, but big daddy Jean Baudin has it now. That was probably the best bass sub I have ever heard!! The gordo and the 112 was an amazing combination. lots of clarity, and ridiculously deep.

You may want to pm guys like Tom Bowlus, Jean Baudin, Stew McKinsey, and secret donkey (don't know your real name, sorry), those guys all use combinations of accugroove cabs. I really like the combo of the 210 and the jr. I know tom bowlus is a big fan of that pair as well. Secret donkeys pic of his 2 jr.s stacked on their side seems like one of the best ideas I've seen yet for multiple accugrooves.

good luck.

Jake :bassist:
  4. hey all,

sorry for the lax (and short) response, but I had a monster late night gig and only got a couple hours sleep. on to the Whappos!

I initially ordered an El Whappo and a Whappo Grande from Mark and David at AccuGroove. they got hung up waiting for the big 21" drivers to be delivered, so I gigged with just the El Whappo for a while. you know how that sounds, so I'll skip to the good bits.

adding the Whappo Grande to the El Whappo produced a dimension of sound and power that I had never anticipated. my basses speak with an authority that are hard to describe. you can read a better phrased version of this on the AccuGroove site; I think my testimonial is still up.

I also use a Tri 112 with the Whappo Grande from time to time. while I think they're still a great combination, I miss the low mids of the El Whappo. I have been spoiled!

I want to commission a Gordo to couple with the Tri 112, though. I think would be about the ultimate small rig!

from the exhaustified lows,

5. thanks for your great insights and suggestions gentlemen ....

6. I jumped to the El Whappo with the intent of adding a Tri210L (or perhaps other) later. I just haven't found the need for a second cabinet...
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    paging Jean B, paging Jean B...

please report to this thread! :smug:
  8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I would think a vertical stack of four Tri 112 (or 110) stacked on their sides would make some serious tones and project really well (or I guess two Tri 210 stacked long-ways vertically).
  9. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Anybody running Whappo stack? Oh yeah ... sick people! :D
  10. CurbowPete

Aug 28, 2004
    I'm running just one Whappo. It kills small animals and it gave me an irregular heart beat :D

11. I initially was going to get a tri 210 and add an El Whappo if needed...then I decided I'd get the El Whappo first at Mark's suggestion.....I can NOT imagine EVER needing a second cab with the El T-Funk and the El Whappo are seriously loud and clear.....devestating to the unprepared guitar*sts out there......I would suggest you try 1 to start with....

12. I should add to my previous post. the El Whappo is more cab than I would ever need... if I wasn't pushing those low F# and C# strings. it's the ultimate stand alone speaker on the market otherwise, IMHO.

from the lowest,

13. Do you mind if I share your opinion? A Wal 5-string and an El Whappo seem to be the perfect match, but this cabinet is actually true to anything that you care to plug into it...
  14. shared opinions are as valid as those that diverge! I haven't found anything that gives the uncolored fidelty that AccuGroove delivers.
  15. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    YEP- The el whappo kicks so much a$$ by itself, but simultaneously is remarkably uncolored and totally neutral. It's kind of hard to imagine if you've never played through one. I've had mine for a while and I know I'm totally spoiled, but every time someone plugs into my el whappo for the first time, they are pretty much floored. The more time they spend with it, the more impressed they are, and the real understanding comes when they figure out that they can EQ it however they want, and get pretty much any sound they're looking for without getting clanky or muddy, with just stoopid amounts of volume. Viva El Whappo!! here come da guns!

16. big Jake! what up, man? how're you and the lovely lady taking to life in the Carolinas?

17. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
  18. you're a dark and twisted man, Baudin, but I'm glad you're a bass player!

from the lows,

ps - dark and twisted is a good thing where I come from. :D
  19. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    now THAT'S what i'm talkin' about! :bassist: :hyper: