Anybody seen this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by uglybassplayer, Sep 21, 2001.

1. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I figured if anybody can help me, you guys can...

A few years ago I picked up this neck-thru SamAsh Carlo Robelli (made in Vietnam) for about $300. After some fret filing, a good setup and a decent set of strings, this thing has actually turned out to be a pretty decent bass. It looks like it's got a rosewood top & back with either an alder (or pine?) core, with a wenge/maple neck. Black hardware, 2 soapbar humbuckers, Passive electronics (2 volumes, 1 tone & a 5 position ChickenKnob switch to set different coil combinations)

Anyway, here's my question... A few months ago I stumbled across some manufacturer's website that was selling this exact same bass (though not under the highly respected "Carlo Robelli" name... Ok, so I'm a little sarcastic today). I'm trying to locate that site again, but I can't remember the manufacturer or webpage now. Has anyone here seen it?

- Frank

Here are some pics of it...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Yeah, I've actually played one at the Sam Ash staore on King's Hwy. in Brooklyn. It was 299.99. This was about 4 years ago. You can call Sam Ash, and they'll give you the company's contact info.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Frank - When I think "Robelli" I think "cheap" (not just the price).

When I think "cheap" I think "Samick".

Unless somebody is copying Samick, (that would be ironic), you'll find that exact headstock at the Samick site, wherever it is, (search engine). And they make more lower end basses than anyone on the planet.

BTW, really like your "respected" reference. :D
  4. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I assumed it was Samick, but I didn't know they had a factory in Vietnam.

A quick note about this bass... Except for a few "fit & finish" issues (slight crack at end of fingerboard near the body, rough sanding, etc..), and cheap hardware, it turned out to be a great passive 4 string. Not in the same league as some of my other basses, but it has a nice solid feel and sounds quite good. The only thing is that it's heavy (almost 9 1/2 pounds). I'm wrestling over whether or not to replace the crappy hardware.

- Frank.
  5. V.nice bass!!

Do you know were i could find one, i wouldn't mind one myself :D

6. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Now that there is what you call your basic "hippie sandwich."
  7. Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    looks like a soundgear. but 1614651451 times better..
  8. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Now that was uncalled for...
  9. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I worked @ Sam Ash in Bklyn when we 1st started to sell them & they were surprizingly very good. The more we sold, the crappier they got, go figure.

Back to the point. I've seen them in Musicians Friend as Rouge Bass. Probably a Samick. I've also seen them in a few other cataloges w/different names.
  11. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Ha, I forgot about that. I posted that review in BGRA close to 4 years ago I think. Today there's quite a few good basses selling for under $700.

- Frank
  12. no, really guys, were can i get one? :D

13. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I don't know if they'll be that easy to find. Carlo Robelli is Sam Ash's "House Brand". There were apparently two of these neck-thru models, one with j-bass pickups, and one with humbuckers. They popped up at Sam Ash 4 or 5 years ago. I haven't seen one in any Sam Ash location in the last 2 years. Like I said in my first post, around 6 months ago, I came across a website where somebody was selling these as their own brand. From what I remember, the website promoted them as if they were "custom" instruments, but at a very reasonable price (ala, DP Custom... but it wasn't Dave Pushic that's for sure). I had to laugh when I saw that! Personally, if I were you, I would contact Dave at, show him the design and have him build you a bass. He charges something like $550 U.S. for a custom built neck-thru 4 string with standard hardware. You can't go wrong.

- Frank