Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody speak italian?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tuBass, Jan 16, 2004.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I need the phrase "long live love" translated in Italian. Can anybody help me?

Thanks!

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
  3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I have seen some italian TB'ers, hope they help

i never trust babelfish for these things (english language uses the same word for at least 5 different things, so automated translations are usually way off)

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I don't think you can make an exact translation of "Long live love" into Italian. It might not come out being understood in exactly the manner you wish. The phrase "Long live love" is kind of an idiomatic expression in English.

The closest thing I can come up with would be "Love always" which is "Amore sempre." That's not quite the same as "Long live love", but as I say, expressions in one language do not often translate word for word to another language.

Hopefully a native speaker of Italian here can set us straight.

5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

:D :D

Yummy!

7. "Viva l'amore", it's pretty close. Literally "live love", but the "long" part isn't really necessary. "Amore sempre" wouldn't be a bad choice.

8. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    "Viva l'amore" is correct (I'm a native speaker). If you tell me about the context, I may be able to tell you more.

Cheers,

knight

9. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    It's the theme for a Valentine's Banquet our church is having.
    I hate to be Gramatically incorrect about these things, so i wanted to get the correct version.
    Thanks!

Mark

10. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  11. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    You're very welcome, and for that use the phrase is perfect. Don't forget to shout it out really loud and wave your hands about while you say it, then the effect will be maximized.
    Any other questions, I'm here.

Cheers,

knight