anybody taking psychology in College/High School?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    Does anyone on TB take Psych??
    Im taking it this year. I find it kinda hard with all the terms i have to memorize (basic terms) but its fun. Im in my junior year of high school and im taking it and i will probably take it in College. I was just wondering how much harder it is in College than in high school.
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I took it in high school and again over 20 years later in college. I don't remember how I did in high school, but I got an A in it in college (without much studying). It wasn't too hard to me. One of my easier classes.
  3. I take it because I am forced to and I hate it. To me it is mostly common sense.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    My college psych class was pretty simple. Then again, all the academic classes were geared differently towards the students because it was an art school and the students had no concept of regular college courses.
  5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    well, just think about the million terms I have to learn thru my career (Medicine)... I now have kinda fluid medical language but oh boy how I suffered... :)

I came to the conclusion that even if you dont learn them right now, in the next years youll have to deal with them anyways and they come naturally to you
  6. I'm going to be taking Psyc 100 next semester to poke around for majors...

What should I expect?
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I'm sure it will change with every teacher, but most likely an overview of the major styles and players in psychology (Freud, Jung, Skinner, etc.). There are many different types of psychology and therapists, so you'll probably go over all the different methods each one involves, and some basic terminology. You might also have interactive parts in the class dealing with group psychology and perhaps talking about yourself and what you think makes you who you are. Most 100 level classes don't go too deep into anything-they're like samplers to see if you would like to really learn about a particular subject.
  8. Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    I took Psych 100 last semester. IMO, it was a joke and a complete waste of time, except that I got a much - needed 4.0 out of it. There was very little work involved.
  9. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    Its not too hard..
    im acing it.. right now im studying about The history of it.. and im halfway done with the year.
    But hey at least i get a credit for it..
    Also i get a credit for playing bass..
    Im kind of homeschooled, I goto a private school and go on mondays, tuesdays and fridays. But the rest of the days i do work at home. Anyway Im taking bass and guitar lessons and thats one of my credits.. man ..the advantages of being homeschooled!
  10. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I graduated from college with a degree in Psych... the terminology is a pretty big part of it, but look at it this way... Psych is trying to quantify behavior. that being the case, you will havfe to get used to some new ideas as well as new terminology to describe it... It does get more complex as you move forward in college, but it does stay true to the basic principles that you would learn in your early classes... same ideas, just more details.

11. Yep. Psych 200. Biologocal aspect of everything. Kinda cool, but not a lot of new material. Currently 244 out of 260 in points for the class.

Rock on
  12. psych 100 = A if you study your terms
  13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I've got an A in my psych class, but I absolutely HATE the class. Not due to the class or the material itself, but the teacher. Absolutely terrible. She does nothing but sit and read directly from the book for over 2 hours. After the first 10 minutes everybody is either working on vocabulary (the only assigments we have other than open-book tests) or just zoned out the rest of the time. The material is quite interesting, but the teacher makes it awful.
  14. yea im taking psych BF SKINNER RULEZ! HAHA!
  15. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I took three psych courses and they were all pretty much birds.

Don't major in psych unless you plan to take at least a Master's degree. I know several people who have Bachelor's degrees in Psych and they are all having difficulty finding jobs.
  16. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    add me to that list... I didn't realize that I was in the wrong degree program until the end of my junior year in college... I couldn't very well change things around, so I went ahead and finished my degree... the only job offer that I could get related to Psych was as a counsellor at a drug rehab clinic... and the pay would be about 19k... I also got a job offer in telecommunications because of my minor in computer information systems and because I had a degree. Within a year, I was making double of the job offer in psych... there can be jobs found, but so many employers don't know how to utilize someone with a psych degree... you often end up in human resources! If you are going to get a degree in psych, then load up on minors... i got 2 minors along with my degree, and I did it all in 3.5 years... My minors are in CIS and technical writing... I hope to go back to some sort or writing/editing job, and go back to school for music.... wow, that was way long winded... sorry about that! :D

17. Psych is easy.

That why I got a Bachelors Degree in Psychology.
    College education the easy way.
    So easy I got a Master's in Organization Development Psychology too.

Recommendation: If you become career minded,
    stay away from Clinical and focus on Organization Devleopment.
  18. yeah im in psych right now, its my favorite class, my teacher bought my bands cd. its not too hard, mostly because i dig it so much, my teacher told me to say that i have the coolest teacher. yeah thats about it.

19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, my dad majored in psych b/c it was the easiest possible one.

(recently, comedian jon stewart of the daily show said in an interview that he switched majors from chem. to psych b/c for chem., you actually have to know stuff!)