Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody that has both a Stingray 5 and a Sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Feb 16, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been getting the urge (well, OK - GAS :D) to get a five of some sort. This isn't a short-term thing (I need a second cab first), but I like to make long-term plans.

My logic chain: I'm most comfortable with a 1 1/2" nut. I love my Sterling. The 'Ray 5 has the same control layout and capabilities as the Sterling. The Stingray 5 has a 1 3/4" nut, which should be the same string-to-string spacing as the Sterling. Ergo, a 'Ray 5 should work for me. Right?

I've been keeping an eye out in the local stores for a Stingray 5 to try on, but stock seems rather low right now - the big chains are in inventory season, I think.

Anyone have any comments about my logic? Do you find a 'Ray 5 and a Sterling to be easy to go back-and-forth between?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    There should be no problem as the Sterling is the 4-string version of the Stingray 5.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Man, that was fast!

Right - but I'm making the assumption that the string spacing (string-to-string) at nut and bridge is comparable, and you know what they say about assumptions...

Also, I'm kinda looking for neck feel opinions - do you find the two necks similar in feel, beyond the obvious 1/4" difference in width? Is the five "clubbier" than the four, or is it a relatively thin neck?

4. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    The Stingray 5 has a very thick neck more like the
    Stingray 4 then the Sterling . For me I find the Sterling neck to thin for my taste but I was raised on a 70,s P Bass . I do find the Stingray 5 neck very much to my liking .

5. Wow, Ray fives are great. Get one.

sim