1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody that has both a Stingray 5 and a Sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Feb 16, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been getting the urge (well, OK - GAS :D) to get a five of some sort. This isn't a short-term thing (I need a second cab first), but I like to make long-term plans.

My logic chain: I'm most comfortable with a 1 1/2" nut. I love my Sterling. The 'Ray 5 has the same control layout and capabilities as the Sterling. The Stingray 5 has a 1 3/4" nut, which should be the same string-to-string spacing as the Sterling. Ergo, a 'Ray 5 should work for me. Right?

I've been keeping an eye out in the local stores for a Stingray 5 to try on, but stock seems rather low right now - the big chains are in inventory season, I think.

Anyone have any comments about my logic? Do you find a 'Ray 5 and a Sterling to be easy to go back-and-forth between?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    There should be no problem as the Sterling is the 4-string version of the Stingray 5.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Man, that was fast!

Right - but I'm making the assumption that the string spacing (string-to-string) at nut and bridge is comparable, and you know what they say about assumptions...

Also, I'm kinda looking for neck feel opinions - do you find the two necks similar in feel, beyond the obvious 1/4" difference in width? Is the five "clubbier" than the four, or is it a relatively thin neck?

4. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    The Stingray 5 has a very thick neck more like the
    Stingray 4 then the Sterling . For me I find the Sterling neck to thin for my taste but I was raised on a 70,s P Bass . I do find the Stingray 5 neck very much to my liking .

5. Wow, Ray fives are great. Get one.

sim