1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody transport their rig via motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gremson, Jan 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    I've been traveling the US in an RV for the last seven months, and I haven't jammed with anyone since starting our trip. We just landed in Austin and I'm really getting the itch to find people to play with. I still have my bass, and a few pedals, but I sold my amp before we left Portland.
    I'm entertaining the possibilities of finding some lightweight high power 110 or 112 combo that I could strap to my old Honda moto.
    Has anybody here loaded a bass and amp onto their bike and headed out into the wild? I'd love to hear about how you made it work. Especially with pictures.
    Also.. Anybody in South Austin wanna jam?

Helix and murphy like this.
  2. justbass57

justbass57 Supporting Member

Hit up Jeff Bonny here I think he used to travel on a motorcycle with some gear.

3. practice amp and ubass only, but I could go 210, micro and EUB if I was masochistic about it.

4. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    I frequently travel with my bass and amplifier in my saddlebags and I'm in the process of building a rack for my cabinet. No pictures though.

murphy likes this.
  5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    must see this......
    I used to travel with my gig bag worn as a back pack....watch that parachute effect.....but never a rig

6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I always get uneasy and want to pass when I find myself behind an overloaded motorcycle or one towing a trailer.

3C053854-71E5-4F22-83DC-C6E8019A0A7D.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    bassbrad, Lvjoebass and Mili like this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    How about buying a cheap used cab, and leaving it at the rehearsal location?

8. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I regularly travel to gigs and rehearsals via motorcycle. I picked up a Trace Elliot ELF head and 2*8 cab. Cab sits behind me on seat, head in gig bag on back. Easy transport and great cab.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  9. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    I have. Small combo amp, hard case, and occasionally an equipment cart on the back of a last-gen Kawi Concours (91). Couple of things I remember, although I’ve since moved to sport bikes and don’t do it anymore.

Bungee cords don’t cut it. Start with Rok straps to stabilize the load and run a ratchet across the top of everything to secure it completely. Route straps through handles as available.

The amount of force needed to tie down is greater than a gig bag can handle, so a good hard case was helpful.

Items tumbling sideways were a greater risk than falling off the back, so secure with that in mind. If you have a sissy bar, that’s helpful.

You will look like a dork, if that matters to you.

Riding is fine, but stoplights can be a bit of a surprise. Not the weight, but having odd balance with such a spread wide load.

What kind of Honda?

10. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    Happy to hear a few people do this!
    I considered for a minute about getting a larger cab to just leave at a practice space. But I haven't met anyone to jam with yet, and I wouldn't be able to keep anything too large in my RV when it's time to leave.
    I'm thinking a Fender Rumble 100 or an Ibanez Promethean could keep up at a jam for the kind of music I like to play and weight not much more than the groceries I load up every week.
    Though if my brother had his way, I'd just get an Ampeg fridge and mount trailer wheels and a hitch. Just tow the whole cab!
    Here's my '73 Honda CL350 for your enjoyment.

Attached Files:

Old Blastard and rllefebv like this.
  11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The trailers a good idea. Keeps the center of gravity low.
    And you can mic your pipes to get a thunderous motorcycle sound on the way to the gig.

Steve-Mo, Helix and Gremson like this.
  12. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    I've been eyeballing this 2x8 cabinet just for this purpose. Could you give an example of volume? Maybe compare it to a 1 by 12 etcetera. what music do you play? I play traditional Blues in a 3-piece.

13. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Riding on a motorcycle with a bass and an amp seems like a really, really bad idea.

Crusher47, Artman and JRA like this.
  14. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Yeah, a band I use to play for in the 1000 islands. The lead vocalist... he'd bring his mic and in ear head set... show up 10 minutes before the show on his Harley. Just in time for his mic check... you know, after we had set up the entire PA.

Steve-Mo and JRA like this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Our guitarist has done it a few times. I think he's mentally ill.

16. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    You have to adopt the Neil Peart plan. Just have the tour bus and semi with your road crew meet you at the next gig.

jazzbass_5 and Artman like this.
  17. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    You already have the important part, a stout luggage rack, now if the crate is easily removed even better.
    Never carried an amp on a scooter but did carry a heavy tool box on one almost every day for a while so it is possible. I rigged up an adapter from an old wooden soda crate that was basically the crate with the sides removed to give me a bit of front and back bracing to keep the box from reacting to acceleration and braking. I also installed a couple of eye bolts in each side of the bottom to act as lashing points for my tie down straps. I had a couple of small ratchet straps that worked to control the side to side and i used U clamps to attach the modded crate to my luggage rack. It worked, but it was not especially fun to ride with my tool box strapped on, but i didn’t have any other transport so pleasure was way down on the list of goals associated with hauling my tools. The key to the whole thing is you absolutly want no movement of your load. It makes cornering a little odd with that much weight so far back and on top, but nothing too awful.
    Anywho, i’ve got an old SWR 60W cube with a ten inch speaker that would be a perfect candidate for your needs, but there are plenty of modern mini combos that would more than get the job done at the jam and don’t weigh much and are compact enough to be fine, just insure it stays put and ride accordingly.
    I’d say bass in a gigbag with backpack straps chinched tight to keep it up against you so air doesn’t rush between you and the bass creating an air brake, and mind the mast above your head.

Gremson likes this.
  18. Strap a greenboy f112 to the back of bike and throw your class d amp of choice in a saddle bag (Aguilar th500, Darkglass 500 or 900)

19. I searched Motorcycle and bass on google and was not disappointed

73408B7B-F9FF-4CA5-ABEC-0ED7B200E109.jpeg