Anybody tried an AI Focus for electric bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mchildree, Sep 10, 2004.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Just wondering if anyone has tried or is currently using an AI Focus for their electric bass rig? I know it'll give me the tone I want, I'm wondering about adequate 600 watts, seems like it should (my current amp is an SWR SM400S at 500 watts bridged).

I'd like to know how the apparent volume of the AI Focus would compare to other commonly used heads of the same power range.....
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    oh yeah! I know a couple guys using them with Schroeder cabinets. For one... Jorg Schroeder (JSCRO7376 here on TB) has been raving about his (with reverb unit). He just got rid of a Mesa Walkabout and is selling a MusicMan 500. I'll PM him this link and so he can give his take on it against other heads.

(it's the latest on my GAS list... sounds like a great solution)
  3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I've owned the Focus and have a SM-400S. If you're expecting the Focus to have the power of the SM-400S you will be greatly disappointed.
  4. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    After trying some "more powerful" heads vs. my Clarus, I'd say that AI does not overestimate their power ratings. The Clarus is *loud* at 4 ohms and sounds awesome for electric and upright bass both. It's been such a trooper for me over the last 5 years.

I see a Focus in my future.

5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i found it plenty frickin' loud. EQ isnt gonna be nearly as versatile as the SM, but again, up to what you'd rather have.
  6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    I have one with the reverb and I love it. I've had a few of them, but people always take them, so I have to order another.
    I've owned the clarus as well and its great to, but for electric bass the Focus is amazing. I think it has ever bit of an sm400 or smaller eden. I like the clarity the AI Focus has over the eden or swr, but then I like to hear my instruments not the eq on an swr, eden, etc. Just what I like!

7. I experienced quite the opposite. Compared to my Focus, the SM 400 sounds under powered. It just kicks butt, is more than loud enough for mid size gigs. First I played it live with my 1210, awesome. Then I used my 21012 and it cuts through wonderfully.

I've been using the Focus now on 6 gigs and several rehearsals since I've received it 2 weeks ago. I let it run for 5 consecutive hours; very reliable, I am certain the Focus will definitely give other amps the run for their money.
  8. bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz

i also found the opposite to be the case for me.i just got a focus.used it on a couple gigs and a rehursal and i love it.the sm-400 i had always seemed underpowered.i compared the focus with my eden 550.volume wise they were close.the 550 was warmer sounding but the fucus seems to cut through better on stage,but is still plenty warm.
  9. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'm amazed at how the Acoustic Image heads are so clear without being too bright, thin or honky. But the greatest thing about them, to me, is how I can get a really natural acoustic "push" at the beginning of every note when I'm walking, on electric or upright.

After years of using the stuff I didn't really get the "Acoustic Image" part...but now I do. To me, it's not just about presenting uncolored sound to the's presenting someone accustomed to acoustic instuments with a frequency response that *feels* correct and natural when they're playing. I really notice the difference when I use something else.

Can anybody else comment on this or do you all think I'm crazy? I'm starting to sound like Dimin talking about EA.