Anybody tried GK's new SBX Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woodboy, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    None of my local retailers carry these cabs as yet. I am curious to know if any TB'ers have tried (or bought) them yet. The sealed box design seems like it might be a bit fuller sounding in the low-mids and upper bass than the higher-priced RBH designs. In hi-fi land, sealed box speakers are known for their full bass response (at the expense of efficiency.) I play old-school fingerstyle r&b and like the B-15 sound, only lots louder. Interstingly, the B-15 was a sealed box, if I'm not mistaken.
  2. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Right after I posted this, I went to my local GC where they had a SBX 410 and 115. I tried them with a new 1001 and Yowza! The 115 was huge and clean. Oddly enough, there is a good sized port on the back right behind the speaker. I guess SBX doesn't stand for "sealed box." As I was trying out the 410, a young kid bought it. Must have been my playing! :D I got the lad to let me hook up both the 410 and the 115 to the 1001 before he took it home. Serious air being moved. The SBX 210 and 115 are definitely under consideration in my house!
  3. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    GK's website is woefully inaccurate about these cabs. The best info I have seen is at Rik's Music. Still wondering if anybody has played them.
  4. BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Aren't these cabs the replacements for the older RBS cabs?
  5. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    B-15s are ported.

I too am interested in a GK review of the new cabs.
  6. fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    hi, new to the site.. its awesome!!

anyway, i just got a 410 SBX and i'm quite pleased with it. although i dont have much to compare it with (a hartke 410xl) its really nice. compared to the hartke the lowend on the gk is phenomenal. the lows are strong and clear (even without the 115). i'll have a more indepth review once i get my 1001RB-II :) but for now running off an old 400RB. oh, and for you 5stringers, i play a yamaha BBG5S and its got no problem handling the low B.